Chicken Coop bedding

Hope Hughes

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 1, 2017
North FL
My Coop
My Coop
We bought a sawmill when we got hit by the hurricane last year here in Florida to try to save the trees we had come down on oir land. Having a saw mill there is ALOT of saw dust and I hate wasting things, so i set up a bucket to try to save as much of the pine dust as I can and decided to try them in my coops. It works AMAZINGLY!
1000129288.jpg
Here is My Instagram Post to see them all
fresh.

I use them in my quail pens, brooding pens, chicken coops, duck coops and so many other places. It works amazing! I always add DE and powered Permethrin to help keep all the unwanted pests away.
1000129289.jpg

I will wait until they start to breakdown a little bit and turn brown to either turn the bedding under and mix it up or add ontop of it. Both methods work great and help keep the coop dryer and build the floor up beautifully. I used to buy pine pellets for my flooring in my coops and they break down to around the same way. But this is just saving money and time for me.
1000129290.jpg

I dont think i will ever go back to any othet type of flooring for my pens. I do use shavings for my egg boxes or hay i may have on hand to just to keep the eggs safe. Alot of my chicken like to go broody on me and the dust is not good for egg protection.

Always satisfying to put what often would otherwise be "waste" to perfectly good use like this. I cut a lot of firewood every year and save a lot of the chainsaw wood chips from that. I make firestarters out of them or lately I do what you did and just dump them in the chicken run. Keeps them occupied for hours scratching through it plus helps absorb everything else.

Always satisfying to put what often would otherwise be "waste" to perfectly good use like this. I cut a lot of firewood every year and save a lot of the chainsaw wood chips from that. I make firestarters out of them or lately I do what you did and just dump them in the chicken run. Keeps them occupied for hours scratching through it plus helps absorb everything else.
Yes!!! Love it. There are so many things we can use that others would just waste. Its so sad how wastful the world has become.

"I use them in my quail pens, brooding pens, chicken coops, duck coops and so many other places. It works amazing! I always add DE and powered Permethrin to help keep all the unwanted pests away."

I am not an expert. From my reading I understood that one should use permethrin (and any other pesticide) only against a specific infestation. Rationale given is that critters adapt and the pesticide no longer works.

FWIW

Built the coop and wood for the run from milled white pine and white oak.
Yes!! We have alot of big pines and we are trying to use up those as much as we can. When the hurrican hit us our neighbors and frees with land clearing business would bring us their trees. We atill have so so so many down we need to use! This is ours we got back in September here on My new IG page and we have build so much with it already and have a billon more plans for it. Our friends have build stuff as well. Its definitely a must!

Back
Top Bottom