Do i have enough space

breadlady

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
I have 12 chickens total 1 roo and rest ladies. They are not free roaming.
My pen/coop is 10x24 totally enclosed with chicken wire and surrounded by 3 ft High 1/4" hardware cloth. 10x12 of the pen/coop is covered. The hardware cloth also extends 1 foot out on ground as a dig in deterrent. The roost area extends 4.5 ft x 4.5 ft and is 3 ft off ground attached to pen/coop and enclosed same as pen/coop. Inside the roosting area is14 ft of perch 18" off floor with 4 nesting boxes inside, with plenty of above roost ventilation. I use a string of 50 led christmas lights (white) for night light in roost. I hang 5 gallon feeders (2) and 5 gallon water (1) buckets. Under the roosting box is a 4x4x2ft deep sidewall container of peat moss for dusting. Do i have enough space? My chickens seem quite happy no issues as i raised all from day old chicks.
12 chickens ( 7 speckled sussex ladies, 2 blue laced red wyandottes ladies, 2 lavendar orphingtons ladies and 1 speckled sussex rooster) in 160 sq ft on ground and approx 20 sq ft roost box. 14 ft of perch and 4 nesting boxes.
I have read so many different things to do...did i figure on enough space?

That sounds fine for your 12 chickens.

The usual guideline is 4 square feet of space per chicken in the coop, and 10 square feet per chicken in the run. That would be for situations where the chickens are shut in the coop at night, or stay inside during bad weather.

It sounds like you have one big space, with 20 square feet per chicken, and constant access to all areas. That is definitely more than the minimum. You say 10 x 12 feet of it is covered, so that gives 120 square feet (10 per chicken) that is sheltered from rain or bad weather-- also well above the minimum.

The usual guideline is 1 foot of perch per chicken, so your 14 feet for 12 chickens is also fine.

4 nestboxes should be fine for 11 hens. The common guideline is 1 box for each 4 hens, so again you have more than the recommended minimum.

Back
Top Bottom