Very abnormal duck eggs - No idea what it is!?!?!?

This is an excerpt from an article (I don’t have full access to it):

THE occurrence of blood spots in eggs of the domestic fowl has been considered generally to be caused by genetic and environmental factors. A suggestion that diet might be associated with the incidence of blood spots in chicken eggs was noted at this Station (Bearse and Miller, 1940) when in experiments on vitamin A requirements of laying hens, diets with a low level of this vitamin produced eggs with numerous small blood spots. The occurrence of increased blood spots was attributed to a possible vitamin K deficiency because of low levels of alfalfa in the rations fed.

Many nutritional factors have been studied to determine their effect on production of blood spots in eggs [Nalbandov and Card, 1944, 1947; Denton, 1947; Carver and Henderson, 1948; Sauter et al., 1952]. While some of these investigations showed a beneficial effect from grass range, dried cereal grass, and fresh cut and dehydrated alfalfa, . . .”

I would try just feeding strictly your Dumor Layer Feed and Oyster Shells. The excess oats and veggies could have more of an impact than we think! I am no nutritionists but it’s worth a shot I’d say :confused:
Very good point. I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to at least back off on spoiling them...it's so hard not too with those sweet little faces!!

Very good point. I was wondering the same thing. I'll have to at least back off on spoiling them...it's so hard not too with those sweet little faces!!

I know. It’s so hard not to spoil them!!! I get so mad at my husband when he gives the ducks Cheerios- but he knows me so well and say “you’re only mad because you want to and you won’t!”. :tongue

I know. It’s so hard not to spoil them!!! I get so mad at my husband when he gives the ducks Cheerios- but he knows me so well and say “you’re only mad because you want to and you won’t!”. :tongue
I know!! My husband isn't as bad as I am, but he often does the shopping, and there are always yummy duck treats in the fridge!

My Pekin duck laid normal wonderful eggs for 3 months, then she stopped laying for what I thought was molting. But, then she started laying soft, abnormal eggs. It's been a month and I'm worried as she now has signs of having an infection as she is pooping egg yokes. All that I have read is that she will need either Lupron or an implant to fix her reproductive issues that is if she is not too far gone as far as infection is concerned. Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom