VERY Aggressive Rooster: Please Help!

Pics
I am definitely in the same boat here! I have a German Liege Fighter that is about a year old now. I didn’t have any problems with him until I moved out of the city and into the country (I had very awesome neighbors as I tried to keep him on the down low until moving time). But my new neighbor has about 100 roosters or so and I feel like he is just so aggravated by them that he has became so aggressive. He attacks me the most and I have to carry a stick to go into the coop/chicken yard we built until we can fence our entire property. Although he did attack my husband when he turned his back yesterday and I don’t allow my children in/near the chickens right now. I have hit him multiple times with said stick (well, a broom handle) and have punted him across the coop like a football and he is still relentless. I’m just so torn because he is doing his job and protecting my flock and he is worth a lot (and I want to breed him with my Liege hen). Also, he is HUGE. 😅 If I don’t eat him or want to keep him then the person I got him from said she would trade me some other chickens for him since he is a rare breed chicken. Idk, definitely on the fence and have been for a few weeks!
What goods a rare rooster you have to punt like a football? Trade him before you kill him.

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!
Some roosters are people aggressive and some are not. No amount of "training" will change this fact. If you use him for breeding or give him away, that will just perpetuate the human aggressive rooster - his offspring will likely be aggressive too. We had a mean rooster and our experience was similar to yours. Then we decided to butcher him (not cull) and felt relieved. Our next rooster we had for 7 years and he was good with the ladies and protected the flock. He was wary of humans and would not come within 30 feet of anyone.

It seems like a heavy decision to make, but once he is gone you will be relieved and can get back to enjoying your flock.

This is an excellent dish, traditionally and best prepared with a barn yard rooster.

Julia Child's Coq au Vin

I understand what your saying regarding him helping with safety of the flock I have a Jersey who alerts every time there is a hawk or eagle and the girls run and hide, before we had him we had lost several of our girls he does seem to do a good job. That being said he is very nice to both humans and the girls so far but he is young yet and if he ever attacked me or became aggressive with them in a pot he goes!!! It sounds like you have done everything you can and you should have peace when you garden or are just out doing chicken chores. You need your chicken joy back!!! As others have said maybe try another Roo with better temperament. Please don't feel bad!

Back
Top Bottom