VERY Aggressive Rooster: Please Help!

Even if they’re free range? Mine seem a little naive. So sweet, and I’m not sure how “street smart” they are when it comes to predators lurking about. Maybe I should give them more credit?
Even if they free range. A rooster is usually a little more observant since that's his job but hens are not stupid regarding predators. (It's instinct) also a rooster usually loose his life trying to protect his girls.

This guy is a golden laced wyandotte. If you (or others) have had positive experiences with other breeds I’d love to know that too! I haven’t had enough rooster experience to know how much is breed selection (nature) vs nurture.
I’ve just gotten my roo in January (my very first one🤣) he’s a silkie, but I’ve heard they’re kinda mean. Mines super sweet and my best friend had a billion chickens, and a big red sex link rooster. He was so protective of all of them and would let you pick them up and He never even fluffed at someone. Again, GOOD LUCK!!

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!
I have two extremely friendly roosters who are in need of a home! If you would like to restart with 2 sweet boys...

Attachments

• 20220208_165453.jpg
    20220208_165453.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220208_165222.jpg
    20220208_165222.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211220_140232.jpg
    20211220_140232.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211023_100314.jpg
    20211023_100314.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 7
First not all roosters are good roosters. However, there are a lot of roosters out there. I myself, live on the prairie and have found a GOOD rooster to be very effective for day time predator protection. All of us, keep chickens in vastly different ways and set ups, and that is why you get such conflicting opinions.

My advice - look at the feed store, call your county agent, contact 4-H clubs... looking for people with extra roosters. What you want is a rooster that did not get culled because he was so nice. You want an owner with a sharp knife, as in will not keep a poor rooster.

If you get your druthers, a rooster that is close to a year old, who has been raised up in a multi-generational flock, who has been free ranging would be perfect. Don't settle for much less.

A good rooster should be the first to notice when you approach the flock. He should naturally move at least 6 feet away from you. Casually he will keep his flock behind him. He should tidbit, call to the hens, have good chicken social skills.

Seriously, cull the rooster you have now. He has had a great life, and will have one bad moment. But he is giving you multiple bad moments. No one owes a roosters opportunities to attack them.

Once you have a good rooster, you will not tolerate a rotten rooster. You become rather picky about roosters, as you know what you can have. Once you get through the cull, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to do it. Chickens should be a joy, being flogged is not.

Mrs K

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!
There are undoubtedly so many good roosters out there that need a flock and a home to protect. Life is too short to be that miserable. I’m a firm believer in “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”. Also I wish I could remember who stated this and on what forum but Mean roosters taste good…you got this!!!

First not all roosters are good roosters. However, there are a lot of roosters out there. I myself, live on the prairie and have found a GOOD rooster to be very effective for day time predator protection. All of us, keep chickens in vastly different ways and set ups, and that is why you get such conflicting opinions.

My advice - look at the feed store, call your county agent, contact 4-H clubs... looking for people with extra roosters. What you want is a rooster that did not get culled because he was so nice. You want an owner with a sharp knife, as in will not keep a poor rooster.

If you get your druthers, a rooster that is close to a year old, who has been raised up in a multi-generational flock, who has been free ranging would be perfect. Don't settle for much less.

A good rooster should be the first to notice when you approach the flock. He should naturally move at least 6 feet away from you. Casually he will keep his flock behind him. He should tidbit, call to the hens, have good chicken social skills.

Seriously, cull the rooster you have now. He has had a great life, and will have one bad moment. But he is giving you multiple bad moments. No one owes a roosters opportunities to attack them.

Once you have a good rooster, you will not tolerate a rotten rooster. You become rather picky about roosters, as you know what you can have. Once you get through the cull, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to do it. Chickens should be a joy, being flogged is not.

Mrs K
Thank you so so much!! 💛

I have 3 Delaware Cockerals out of 13. I ate the other 10.

2 are very human friendly. The other is a bit indifferent. He will take a peck a bit if he feels bothered. The hens and pullets bully all 3.

The 2 Icelandic cockerals I have are skittish with humans, not aggressive at all. They are somewhat aggressive with other males.

Back
Top Bottom