VERY Aggressive Rooster: Please Help!

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!

Sorry about your rooster but if you are afraid, can’t enjoy your chickens, and cannot have visitors why continue to let one fowl control your happiness! I put up with that for about 3 months then big boy had to go with full disclosure. I have a lavender Orpington now that I could trip over and he is fine. He gets to stay. It is your coop - take charge! Submitted with all respect for your love of chickens.❤️

Have had to cull a beautiful rooster. Terrible but I learned. They’re just like training a food aggressive dog or a horse. They never step into your space. You always step into theirs. Day after day they learn. Either you’re the leader or they are. Simple. And it always helps to have one raised by a strong father. Manners! I have a silkie rooster but mine is too weak to protect. I also have two Aussies who have done several saves. Yet to lose anybody Currently have isbar and isbar/brahma cross. Real nice

Thank you!! I feel the exact same! I think I just needed to hear that it was ok, and I’d tried my best!
I had one once that attacked me and my gentle dogs. He didn't last a week after that, and I raised him from an egg.
Cull him.

I'm in the same boat. My attachment is a little different. I got 4 unsexed chicks and 2 turned out to be roosters. I then knew I needed more hens. The first year the brothers were skittish but never a problem. Then I got a sexed black copper maran chick that unfortunately turned out to be a rooster. Several other hens as well. Ugh. This is when the dominant brother turned crazy aggressive. He drew blood on me multiple times. Attacked my children. Attacked my husband mutilple times. Then killed his own brother. So now I am back down to 2 roosters. He still is very aggressive. I carry in a rake that he seems to be kind of scared of. Not really. Although, I absolutely love his crow. It's perfect and he does it often. I'm not sure if my other rooster doesn't crow bc he is not dominate? I don't want to kill him bc he is so good at his job. The only reason I have a rooster is because I love listening to it. BUT he is also taking away the joy of tending to my hens because he is satan incarnate. I'm thinking about culling him because he also seems to be mean to the nice rooster and I feel more bad for him than me.

There is no cure for an aggressive rooster. If you are worried about losing your protector maybe let one of your hens hatch a small clutch of eggs. There are almost always boys in even a small hatch. Keep an eye on them and make sure to determine which ones are roos early on in their life. Eventually, they will go through an adolescent phase, and then you should leave them alone until their hormones settle down. I have a rooster named Pepper that I tried this trick on, and now he comes to the back door to beg for treats in the morning and he enjoys being picked up and snuggled, as long as you don't go overboard, then he will start crowing in your ear. Usually, the best way to tell when they reach their rebellious phase is when they look like miniature versions of a rooster and they will start to flirt with the other hens. After they finally grow up they will decide whether or not they are okay with being held or would rather be left alone. The truth is it's all up to personality. As for me, every rooster I've done this for has never attacked us. Unfortunately, you may have to get rid of the roo if he is causing so much trouble. I know it's hard, we've lost so many boys before that we loved, but you can't turn a rooster once they've gone fowl. (see what I did there)

I'm in the same boat. My attachment is a little different. I got 4 unsexed chicks and 2 turned out to be roosters. I then knew I needed more hens. The first year the brothers were skittish but never a problem. Then I got a sexed black copper maran chick that unfortunately turned out to be a rooster. Several other hens as well. Ugh. This is when the dominant brother turned crazy aggressive. He drew blood on me multiple times. Attacked my children. Attacked my husband mutilple times. Then killed his own brother. So now I am back down to 2 roosters. He still is very aggressive. I carry in a rake that he seems to be kind of scared of. Not really. Although, I absolutely love his crow. It's perfect and he does it often. I'm not sure if my other rooster doesn't crow bc he is not dominate? I don't want to kill him bc he is so good at his job. The only reason I have a rooster is because I love listening to it. BUT he is also taking away the joy of tending to my hens because he is satan incarnate. I'm thinking about culling him because he also seems to be mean to the nice rooster and I feel more bad for him than me.
I would definitely cull. Your other boy sounds nice, so I think you should give him a chance by taking out the mean one. He obviously already thinks that he is more dominant than you, and there’s nothing you can do now. Killed his own brother? Ugh. He sounds really bad. If you have kids, and he’s attacking them, he probably needs to go.

Roosters raised in an established flock are taught as chicks to respect the hierarchy and pecking order of the flock or they get their feathers pulled out by the older roosters (dad) and older hens .Your rooster should be culled. Aggressive roosters are a dime a dozen.

Cull that beautiful bastard

I understand. I've had mine since day old and I thought they were hens(so much for sexing)

They are sweet friendly and respectful

I feel terrible but what else am I to do? No one wants them, and my city won't allow me to keep them...

At least they're nice guys.

Back
Top Bottom