Very Broody Chickens

You should be close to the end of it, so probably no point in caging unless she doesn't break after 24ish days or so. Caging to break them works the best if it's done immediately.

Thank You! I was wondering the same thing. I have 2 Bantams that have been broody for about 3 weeks. I remove eggs and pull them out several times a day so they don't have any to sit on. Tried locking them out of the coop a couple days ago only to find one pinned between the tarp and wire on top of the coop when I went to lock up for the night:barnie I've never even had a bantam get on top of it before. I think I have a silkie just going into being broody, might cage her tomorrow before she is full on broody. Right now she is still laying, I just find her in the box more than usual. maybe she is just cold and looking for a warm spot :confused:

You should be close to the end of it, so probably no point in caging unless she doesn't break after 24ish days or so. Caging to break them works the best if it's done immediately.
She actually came out of the house without me carrying her today which I think is a great sign. However...... the other two chooks (the ones I call the naughty chooks ha ha - who are just being chooks really) peck her and chase her away. Even when she is happy to hang out with them and just wants to come and say hello at the window with them like she used to. Someone suggested I lock the naughty chooks up but I would have to be so on the ball about their bullying to do this and I only have one separate cage! Do you know anything about the blinkers you can get to put on the bully chooks? I'm wondering how hard they are to get on - such small beaks! This is starting to become a bit humorous - I think! My partner has just finished a cage for my broody chook and then she flys out of the chook house. I'm very pleased but not so sure he will be. Any advice to deal with the bully chooks would be fantastic. They are Isa Browns by the way.

She actually came out of the house without me carrying her today which I think is a great sign. However...... the other two chooks (the ones I call the naughty chooks ha ha - who are just being chooks really) peck her and chase her away. Even when she is happy to hang out with them and just wants to come and say hello at the window with them like she used to. Someone suggested I lock the naughty chooks up but I would have to be so on the ball about their bullying to do this and I only have one separate cage! Do you know anything about the blinkers you can get to put on the bully chooks? I'm wondering how hard they are to get on - such small beaks! This is starting to become a bit humorous - I think! My partner has just finished a cage for my broody chook and then she flys out of the chook house. I'm very pleased but not so sure he will be. Any advice to deal with the bully chooks would be fantastic. They are Isa Browns by the way.

I have no experience with applying pinless peepers.

This sounds like a bigger issue than just breaking a broody. I'd suggest you start a new and separate thread with as much detail as you can about your issue, such as number of birds and ages, your general location/climate, photos of your coop and run, etc.

After 4 weeks of broodiness and 4 long days of the broody cage, my chickens Meg and Hay-Hay are finally broken. I am very relieved and grateful for all the help on BYC, as these were my first broody chickens and for the first 2 1/2 weeks, I had no idea what was wrong with them. They are so much happier and calmer now.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and help!

Back
Top Bottom