Very chirpy chicks!

haasle

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2017
I got my chicks today (4 of them)....and they are chirping like crazy! Does that mean something is wrong? They are in the brooder and have been eating and drinking...and a couple are actually fighting! lol What kind of thermometer should I use to tell the temperature?

That might not mean something is wrong, but do they seem to walk around everywhere, or are they at the farthest or closest places to the heat lamp? I am using a normal thermometer, make sure to have the bottom of it at chick height.

I got my chicks today (4 of them)....and they are chirping like crazy! Does that mean something is wrong? They are in the brooder and have been eating and drinking...and a couple are actually fighting! lol What kind of thermometer should I use to tell the temperature?

That usually indicates they are to cold. Do they stay huddled trying to warm? If so your brooder is to cold. How you got it set-up? Any decent thermometer will work and remember to only heat one end of the brooder----no heat on the other end which is where you shoud keep their feed and water.

Use whatever thermometer you have....remember it's warmer right under than off to the side a little....the chicks will tell you if they are too cold or warm:

What a neat chart! It sure beats those dumb heat guidelines that don't inform people about much.

I recommend a heating pad system as an alternative to a heat lamp. Easy and simple to rig, and the chicks always have the right amount of heat. It's cozy and secure and dark, and they are the quietest chicks you will ever experience.

But if you use a heat lamp, the only temperature you need to concern yourself with is the one at floor level right beneath the lamp. The entire brooder should not be a uniform 85F - 90F.

Your roasting them with that set up. If you have a 100 watt light bulb that should be enough to heat that tote up at one end. Make sure that lamp is secured a couple different ways so it does not fall. Your tote will be good enough for a couple weeks, after that you will have to expand, to give them more room. They grow real quick.

Quote:
Last year, when I got my chicks (thru the mail), it seemed to take several hours for them to settle down. I just made sure they had an area to warm up in, and an area to cool off if need be. They ran around like crazy for much longer than I expected, eating, drinking, scratching at the paper towels, then after 3-4 hours they started to crash! Nothing was wrong, I guess just the stress/excitement of the new surroundings, made them agitated. But they settled right down eventually. Good luck with the babies!

Back
Top Bottom