Very confused about housing for ducks?

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
i got a coop. They will sleep together they said. I don't see this happening, so now I'm trying to figure this all out.

I am adding a covered run and incorporating the coop in the run.

Where are the ducks suppose to sleep? I'm getting the impression they have a mind of their own on this subject and I will have to teach them.

Should they go into the roosting area with the chickens where it will be closed up at night?

Do they prefer to stay out of that area and sleep under the roosting area on straw but in the coop?

Or should they just stay in the run in a seperate sleeping area?

I'm attaching pictures of the coop and the
image.jpg
image.jpg
dog house I was looking at for them(ducks). The dog house has a crowned floor and ventilation(per the description) and I would put straw in that. I just don't know if I feel comfortable with them being anywhere other then the locked roosting area at night.

What type of ducks are they my muscovy ducks like to sleep up high whereas my pekins obviously sleep on the ground

It also depends on how much space you actually have in the coop you have vs how many birds total will be locked in there

i got a coop. They will sleep together they said. I don't see this happening, so now I'm trying to figure this all out.

I am adding a covered run and incorporating the coop in the run.

Where are the ducks suppose to sleep? I'm getting the impression they have a mind of their own on this subject and I will have to teach them.

Should they go into the roosting area with the chickens where it will be closed up at night?

Do they prefer to stay out of that area and sleep under the roosting area on straw but in the coop?

Or should they just stay in the run in a seperate sleeping area?

I'm attaching pictures of the coop and theView attachment 1301038 View attachment 1301039 dog house I was looking at for them(ducks). The dog house has a crowned floor and ventilation(per the description) and I would put straw in that. I just don't know if I feel comfortable with them being anywhere other then the locked roosting area at night.
. Ducks are more hardy than chickens they need much less in housing than chickens. As long as pens keep the Prediators out a ducks housing can be a few cement blocks to block wind and scrap lumber leaning on those blocks for a roof and they will be happy in below zero weather. Bust the ice and dont be surprised if they dive right in even in way below zero weather.

As you are aware , the ducks must be locked up.

My males like to sleep next to a favorite girls. SO those that are clipped sleep in groups around the yard. THere are 2 large houses to go into but they prefer to be outside. Only a few that can fly are going into the trees.

THe muscovy will not perch like a chicken. The chickens roost and the ducks sit on the floor. Or perch up in a tree.

DUcks need more room than chickens IMO. Just teach them to go to house for lock up. Also be sure there is lots of ventilation in that house.

Have a look at the woods style coop for the ducks.

I found a wood one with a door and a nice size window. I'm just waiting to hear if the door locks or if I can make it lock.

Back
Top Bottom