VERY CUTE Roo??? He's a lonely guy (or girl?)

michelle43

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vermont
Hi Everyone- Well, this is my Barred Rock. Is it a roo? If so, how are you telling what he is? If not, what makes you think he's a hen? He's the only survivor out of a bad hatch due to loss of power. I have a batch of eggs ready to hatch next Thursday, but he's still very lonely. He/She is bonding quite nice with the household however...

78180_img_1404.jpg

78180_img_1406.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Michelle,

My partner and I think it looks more like a hen as we cannot see any wattles growing under its beak at the back however you have not said how old it is, that may help a little as it maybe a little early to tell.

That is our thoughts at this time.

Warmest Regards
Dr Rob & Sarah.

You can usually sex barred rocks by the white spot on there head ( am i correct? )

I think if it has a white spot on its head it is a boy and if it doesnt it is a girl.

Quote:
I think that is for black sex link chicks, I know that with BR chicks if the spot is small and really round its a girl, if its big and not really round its a boy.

Barred rocks- I think the female was darker black markings and the male is lighter colored, that may be for older chicks tho. It's hard to access memory at my age.

Of course you need two chicks at least to see a difference, so that's no help either. What a sweetie pie either way!!

Well...his, or her white spot is very small and not round at all. Also, he'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom