Very Dark, Runny Poo in 3 week Chicks...

TKGray5711

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
We've got three 3wk old chicks, all different breeds, who we've been slowly weaning off of heat. We still move the brooder inside at sundown, as nighttime temps are in the 40's. Daytime has been in the 70's and their brooder is sitting in the sun. They are doing wonderfully.

I was getting ready to move the brooder out this morning and noticed these poos.
All chicks seem happy and heapoor. No signs of injury, no behavior changes...they all look perfect. No changes in eating, drinking, food. The last two days, we've let them check out the run where the rest of the girls live while they were out freeranging.

Did they pick something up while checking out the run? Is it the temp changes? They've got electrolytes in their water. Just seeing if I should be concerned?

Attachments

• 20220927_083258.jpg
    20220927_083258.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220927_083306.jpg
    20220927_083306.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the joys of cecal poop! It happens for the first time right about at 3 weeks of age. Its smelly and disgusting and they'll be doing it for the rest of their lives. It's totally normal, just waste coming from another part of the chicken. They'll have several of these per day. I was taken off guard by it too because I had never heard of it, my current chickens are my first.

Welcome to the joys of cecal poop! It happens for the first time right about at 3 weeks of age. Its smelly and disgusting and they'll be doing it for the rest of their lives. It's totally normal, just waste coming from another part of the chicken. They'll have several of these per day. I was taken off guard by it too because I had never heard of it, my current chickens are my first.
This our second batch...our first are 20 weeks. But I swear like all memories ofl what is "normal" from back in May with the first batch is just gone! 🤣 Thank you!

I woke up one morning and went in the room where I was keeping them and the smell smacked me in the face!!! I looked around on BYC and I saw tons and tons of threads of people with the same issue at the same age and the result being cecal... I let out the most massive "WHEW" 😂 They know just where to put it too so that its hardest to clean up.

Back
Top Bottom