very fragile or non-existent shells

@Wyorp Rock @azygous antibiotic recommendation?

I used fish mox for mine, she was cured but hasn't laid after that. She's still alive, it's been a year and a half since she was sick.

Are all of the other hens laying good quality eggs? If it's only this one hen, targeted calcium therapy would be what I would suggest. Get some calcium citrate with D3 at your vitamin aisle, the same as women take for stronger bones. Give this hen one whole tablet each day directly into the beak for this next week. She will swallow easily. If the egg shells aren't solid by the end of the week, continue the calcium until the shells are just beginning to be peppered with calcium "warts".
I agree with @azygous I'd go with giving extra Calcium to see if that helps.
I see a soft shelled membrane, not really any indication of infection, so I don't think an antibiotic is needed.

👇Really Why? I wouldn't shut up birds that had access to yard/grass/greens/bugs (Real Food). They have a nutritionally balanced feed available; they will eat that too. Just because one hen is having issues...it happens even if they are locked up eating "real food=a.k.a layer pellets"...
keep them shut in their coop so they eat their real food.

👇Really Why? I wouldn't shut up birds that had access to yard/grass/greens/bugs (Real Food). They have a nutritionally balanced feed available; they will eat that too. Just because one hen is having issues...it happens even if they are locked up eating "real food=a.k.a layer pellets"...
By the phrasing of what op is say that they mostly eat what they find but there's optional pellets around. I meant to add 'in the morning' to the end, just so they do eat more of their formulated food. Free ranging is great but not every environment is nutritionally fulfilling.

By the phrasing of what op is say that they mostly eat what they find but there's optional pellets around. I meant to add 'in the morning' to the end, just so they do eat more of their formulated food. Free ranging is great but not every environment is nutritionally fulfilling.
When I free ranged mine, shell quality was actually a bit better than when not, but yes, not every environment is nutritionally fulfilling. The bird usually will eat enough pellets to be of benefit though.

wanted to send an update on the thin or sometimes non-existent shells with one of my hens...

Very pleased to report that the vitamin d3 supplement seemed to solve the issue nicely. :) Since I had 5000iu (125mcg) caps available, which are often recommended as 1x/wk dosing for humans, I chose to give one and repeat 4 days later. I have done nothing any differently, but have found no malformed eggs since. THANK YOU for the wonderful advice! I will just monitor and give if I notice shells in need.

Back
Top Bottom