Very graphic pictures of dead turkey insides !

All of my turkeys were laying at that age, the BBW's, RP's and the Eastern Wild, so IMHO, I don't think she was too young.

All of my turkeys were laying at that age, the BBW's, RP's and the Eastern Wild, so IMHO, I don't think she was too young.
Very good to hear, because maybe I will start getting eggs from the younger hens, soon. I wonder why the older hens that started laying in February are not laying yet? I thought it was the weather, since only 6 out of 13 hens are or have laid at all this year, yet. 4 Of these went broody and stopped!
hmm.png

Very good to hear, because maybe I will start getting eggs from the younger hens, soon. I wonder why the older hens that started laying in February are not laying yet? I thought it was the weather, since only 6 out of 13 hens are or have laid at all this year, yet. 4 Of these went broody and stopped!
hmm.png
Have you ever wormed them with a proper wormer like Safeguard (fenbendazole) or dusted them for mites/lice with poultry dust (DE doesn't work)? Internal and external parasites can cause laying problems, I think.

Last edited:
FWIW, the last time I bought chicken livers, one side /lobe/whatever was always larger than the other.
One side looked rather normal, but the other was non- existent, just a very small piece about 1/20th the size, at best. the bird was very small, about 10 to 12 pounds, on foot and very skinny. All feathers made it look bigger, until I picked it up. I guess if it was tumors on the ovaries, I should not even feed it to the dogs???? What would you do? Thank you so much for your help!

Without a necropsy, you'll never know what was wrong, so I wouldn't feed her to anything. Small and very skinny makes me think that she had been sick for a very long time. Kuntrygirl can tell you how anal I am about tracking the weight of my birds. It is, IMNSHO, the best way to monitor the health of your flock. It's a lot of work, but it can save lives. Any weight loss or no weight gain is often the first sign of a sick bird.

Mine are on a worm prevention treatment as well. I also do the DE in the soil.

Celie, if you ever have to bring your birds in for a necropsy, I use LSU Vet Medical School. I took one of my baby peas there last year.

Without a necropsy, you'll never know what was wrong, so I wouldn't feed her to anything. Small and very skinny makes me think that she had been sick for a very long time. Kuntrygirl can tell you how anal I am about tracking the weight of my birds. It is, IMNSHO, the best way to monitor the health of your flock. It's a lot of work, but it can save lives. Any weight loss or no weight gain is often the first sign of a sick bird.

Yep!

:oops:

Back
Top Bottom