Very happy sick chicken

bmayer

Chirping
Jan 14, 2016
Rhode Island
Miss Mindy has been a house chicken all week since we discovered an impacted crop on Monday. We've been treating her all week and it is slowly but surely diminishing. I think it's very close to being fully empty, maybe tomorrow morning will be the day! She's been a trooper through the whole experience, especially since the house is nice and warm and we've had highs in the upper 20s outside all week! She lost a ton of weight and hasn't been eating very great for the last couple days but we've found some foods today that she is enjoying and that will give her some nutrition as well.

Anyways!, I changed the bedding in her cage today to a sand blend on one side and a sawdust on the other side. She has been dust bathing in the sawdust for an hour! And now it's nap time for her and sweeping time for me since she successfully threw piles of bedding out of the cage and onto the tile floor! It's so nice to see her enjoying herself, it's been far too long being caged up!

Awwwww, poor little Mindy.   I hope she is doing better now.  She's a beautiful girl.   :thumbsup

She's no better unfortunately but we have been cuddling a lot and she's been making very happy purr sounds every second of it. So I guess she can't be feeling too crummy! She's decided one of the foods she liked yesterday is peasant food now and won't touch it but she did nibble her pellet mash this morning which she hasn't done in almost 3 days! I wish she would just eat!

have you tried a scrambled egg with some olive oil?
Also with the sawdust does she have grit? I would add some sand or garden dirt to that so it doesn't compact in her crop.

Good luck with her she is pretty

She's no better unfortunately but we have been cuddling a lot and she's been making very happy purr sounds every second of it. So I guess she can't be feeling too crummy! She's decided one of the foods she liked yesterday is peasant food now and won't touch it but she did nibble her pellet mash this morning which she hasn't done in almost 3 days! I wish she would just eat!
Poor little girl. I know what you mean, if they'd only eat some, and put back on a little weight. Hoping for the best.
fl.gif

have you tried a scrambled egg with some olive oil? 
Also with the sawdust does she have grit? I would add some sand or garden dirt to that so it doesn't compact in her crop.

Good luck with her she is pretty

Half the cage is sand, half sawdust. She also has access to oyster shell grit as well at all times. Unfortunately she won't even try the eggs- raw, scrambled OR hard boiled! She's been quite the challenge. She enjoyed tuna and diced tomatoes yesterday but now today is a whole new day. Tomatoes and tuna are peasant food now and mushy pellets are OKAY but by no means did she eat it the way she should be eating. She's still chipper and spends her whole day preening and purring when we snuggle in the morning and at night. And of course biting the cat if he comes near
1f602.png
she's a sassy one

is she pooping?
is the crop impaction gone?
is she taking fluids regularly on her own?

She has been pooping, though most of them have been quite liquidy. She did pass this on Thursday morning:

But she hasn't given me a really good one since yesterday afternoon.

Her crop has been about the size of a ping pong ball the last few mornings, this morning it was slightly bigger than the previous morning.

She's been drinking really well right along but she's not drinking quite as well today. Not going to lie, a little discouraged today. And I just got word that my favorite americauna was just found dead in the coop. She was fine this morning when they were let out in their yard. Not a good day at the farm today.

Back
Top Bottom