Very hard egg shells

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a couple of hens that have extremely tough eggshells. My last hatch those were the only ones that didn't hatch. They got all the way, but were unable to pip. I have had to put the one hen down (internal issues) and would really like to be able to get some of her babies. Is there anyway I can help these chicks out? How do I know how and when? I have boosted the humidity to hopefully soften the shells a bit, but I really don't think that's going to be enough. I really have to hit these eggs very sharply on the edge of a bowl to get them to crack at all... I can't imagine a chick being able to break through, and as I said, these are the only ones that don't hatch. Please help!

I forgot to say that we're on day 21 today. Others have started hatching and nothing from the titanium shelled eggs yet. I am contemplating creating a pip in the air cell so that they can at least get air once they pip internally? What do you think? Anyone?

I think humidity needs to be alot higher to penetrate and soften eggs. I would try to put one in and see what happens.

I would candle them to see if they're internally pipped, and if so create a safety hole, then after some time do a full assist. If they can't make it out on their own.
At the moment the rest of the eggs are still hatching - I'll have to wait for those to be done first. I hope it won't be too late for them! What humidity do you think I should aim for?

Back
Top Bottom