very injured duck in need of help

heres the photos i got:

side view (overall wound size and placement)

from behind a little towards the left side (can see the little piece of bandage thats still stuck, stuck area is slightly smaller then pinkie nail size)

from behind and more towards the right side

close up of hole

now that there are photos, here is a bit of description of what's where:
the dark line i think is the artery or similar, was pulsing with her hearbeat
the pink of the left side of the artery is muscle
the bit on the right side is what i thought was crop, now that i got a better look im not sure, it is some hallow spot, but it looks more like it blends smoothly into the neck muscle rather then being attached by membranes (like chicken crops are, just butchered a few last week so its still a fresh image in my mind) and when i was soaking the bandage i was getting some bubbles from the hole (could just be cause its currently full of air and got compressed when she moved causing bubbles).
and the dark bit on the top doesnt wash or rub off so its not dirt (wound on the whole is quite clean now). thats also where the leaf (oak leaf if that matters) was stuck, not sure but since oak galls are used to make dye could the leaf have dyed the tissue?

That is amazing. that they can have a wound like that go through something so traumatic and live. it actually looks good nice an clean, you don't want any feathers to get into the wounds as they are closing so watch for that and clip if need be. You have explained it all very well and sure looks to be an artery thank goodness that wasn't opened. as for bubbles not sure not being able to see that well up close but even if there is a small hole there is a good chance it will heal. You didn't say has she eaten and is she drinking?

Is the duck eating and drinking? I think I'd be tempted to watch it drink without the bandage on to see if any water leaks from that dark area.

-Kathy

shes still not interested in food but is drinking (1-2 mugs worth a day). been doing the vitamin mix in the water along with a little bit of sugar (figured that a bit of sugar would be better then nothing to help give a bit of energy and all the stuff ive read for sick birds suggests adding it if the bird wont eat). i might try doing more of a soup with some pellets (last attempt was close to a soft oatmeal in consistency) and seeing if shes interested in that at all, maybe even going so far as to powder some and add it to the water so she gets some actual nutrition at least.

id try removing the bandage and watching her drink to check but most of her drinking is done overnight, when i go over to check on her or watch her she just huddles there (could be cause she's one of birds that least likes being handled).

Wow! Poor thing. I do agree that looks like some artery of some sort. That looks painful! I hope for the best for your duck, your doing a good job keeping it clean.

Back
Top Bottom