very injured duck in need of help

i cant even get the bandage off to get a decent look. i made sure it was well coated with vaseline to keep it from sticking (learned to do that the hard way when treating my own wounds) but its ended up sticking to the neck and whatever that thing is in her neck that looks like a crop. there is no way for me to remove or even trim the bandage alone, need at least 3 hands (have to hold her neck still, hold the bandage, and gently work the bandage and tissue apart.

i cant even get the bandage off to get a decent look. i made sure it was well coated with vaseline to keep it from sticking (learned to do that the hard way when treating my own wounds) but its ended up sticking to the neck and whatever that thing is in her neck that looks like a crop. there is no way for me to remove or even trim the bandage alone, need at least 3 hands (have to hold her neck still, hold the bandage, and gently work the bandage and tissue apart.
I tried looking up about the crop since I remember some one posting about ducks not having a crop like chickens but haven't found anything yet. What about taking some nice warm salty water and soaking the bandage real good so it may peel off better. If I was closer I'd come and help. Not sure about putting her into warm water bath since i haven't seen the wounds. But that would be one way to get the bandage off just not sure but if you have to soak the bandage to get it off not sure if it would matter how you did it. I'm going to PM casportpony hopefully she's on today and see what she thinks she is a good one on info .

ive been soaking the bandage best i can, but she's getting spooked by it (possibly linking the spray with the rain during the attack) and it hasnt helped (been doing that for about 2 hours now). i can try a warm bath, but i cant try that til later today when i have more avaliable time in a single go. dont want to stick her in there unsupervised.

Can you post a picture of the bandage? Do you have bandage scissors?

Regarding duck crops... I can assure you that they have them, lol, but they aren't shaped like a chicken crop, they're more like a tube. I have a good picture and will post it later.

-Kathy

Have you tried wrapping her in a towel? That should free up a hand so you can cut it off, but do use bandage scissors, they're much easier and safer for this ort of thing.

-Kathy

Yikes, I keep forgetting about duck crops being differerent... It's on ther neck, so if your bandage is too tight, she cannot eat! Make sense?

-Kathy

ive been soaking the bandage best i can, but she's getting spooked by it (possibly linking the spray with the rain during the attack) and it hasnt helped (been doing that for about 2 hours now). i can try a warm bath, but i cant try that til later today when i have more avaliable time in a single go. dont want to stick her in there unsupervised.
Nope I would not put her in water unsupervised..

Have you tried wrapping her in a towel? That should free up a hand so you can cut it off, but do use bandage scissors, they're much easier and safer for this ort of thing.

-Kathy
Kathy what do you think about letting her be in a warm bath for a while when she can be watch to see if that helps loosen the bandage enough to get it off then she wouldn't have to handle the duck that much for a while.? Once the bandage is loose then wrap the duck in a towel and see how the injury is looking and treat again but not put another bandage on.

I believe I'd just keep pouring warm salty water over the bandage till it's soaked and maybe that will get it loose . Thinking salty water is going to help clean out the wound much more than plain water being used?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom