very injured duck in need of help

Wow that's a big vein to have exposed. How long does it take to have skin regenerate on a wound like that?
Telfa pads, Vaseline/ neosporin, and vet wrap are now going into my first aid kit!

fl.gif
for your duck.
I have no idea hopefully we can all follow and see for ourselves. For what she has been through she really looks good to me.

hopefully now its obvious why i didnt want to leave it unbandaged. little tug during preening or a slip when dealing with an itch on her head and its bye bye duck. short of putting a pair of cones on her neck (one at the bottom to stop scratching and one at the top to stop possible preening) it just seems too risky to let her stay without some sort of barrier over it.

and ill keep up with updating on her condition and any other problems that might arise. ill also try to get periodic photos.

Last edited:
hopefully now its obvious why i didnt want to leave it unbandaged. little tug during preening or a slip when dealing with an itch on her head and its bye bye duck. short of putting a pair of cones on her neck (one at the bottom to stop scratching and one at the top to stop possible preening) it just seems too risky to let her stay without some sort of barrier over it.

and ill keep up with updating on her condition and any other problems that might arise. ill also try to get periodic photos.
I think your right although maybe you can find some kind of bandage that doesn't stick, that comes with ointment on it already?

i think i need to just get better bandage pads, only ones i have on hand are gauze ones (soft cotton like pads). have to either wait til like tuesday to get a ride to the store (dont have a car or other transportation) or wait til the rain clear enough to walk. but looking at the weather is supposed to be pretty much constant rain til next weekend at least.

i think i need to just get better bandage pads, only ones i have on hand are gauze ones (soft cotton like pads). have to either wait til like tuesday to get a ride to the store (dont have a car or other transportation) or wait til the rain clear enough to walk. but looking at the weather is supposed to be pretty much constant rain til next weekend at least.
Hope you can get a ride. Not the time of year to be out walking to town. if it's cold outside.

I think your right although maybe you can find some kind of bandage that doesn't stick, that comes with ointment on it already?

Yeah I wouldn't leave it exposed....it's too risky I agree. Telfa pads help with the sticking issue. I would use vasalene and neosporin on the telfa pad then put it on after cleaning. Then I would gently wrap it with vet wrap. I would change that bad boy atleast 1-2 x a day, especially when the healing begins. Maybe a drug store sells telfa pads?? I'm not too sure.

i can get them, its just that they cost about 4x as much as normal pads for half the number of bandages

im only wrapping tight enough that it stays put, can easily get at least 1 finger in between the wrap and her neck.

Back
Top Bottom