very injured duck in need of help

Krazy glue will work... It works on people I've used it. You've done so well! Great job.
Still think I'd go for the surgical glue if trying that route. Just don't know if there could be something in that crazy glue that may have an adverse affect on her.

It shows me what a great job you have done so far with her, with a wound like that she should be long gone.

since her wound and bandages have been staying clean ive only been changing them every other day. i know i should be doing at least daily changes but i was only able to get enough bandages for 10 changes and am now broke until middle or end of next week at least so i have to make them last as long as possible. thats why the updates havent been daily for the last few.

during todays change i gave the entire wound a good look over including pushing the feathers away from the edges to check them more throughly and lightly touching various areas to check that they werent drying out or anything. the entire wound now has a scab like covering, except its one of those thats not a dried/clotted blood scab. its still a bit flexible and soft, but also a little stiff. the lower edge of it (right as the bottom of her neck) is cracked up a bit, but apparently not really sore or anything. the scab looks almost just like the wound but its not wet looking anymore (definiftly wasnt there last check) and is raised a bit from the normal surface of her neck.

because of this change i couldnt check on the crops hole, but the scab there was a bit more bendy then the scab over the rest. perhaps the possible split i saw last time was actually the scab forming at an early stage and not a new hole in the crop (seeing between the crop and the scab? ive had scabs like these on a smaller scale and they are kinda like the damaged tissue gets replaced from underneath turning the injured tissue into the scab rather then a scab forming over it and sometimes its not entirely attached to the tissue its protecting. they last a lot longer then the normal dark scab (a lot longer) but they also seem a lot stronger and more flexible, able to take more of a beating before peeling or flaking off.since the crop moves a lot it would make sense that its scab became a shell instead of sticking to the crop and the edges of the scab along the outer edge of the wound near the crop didnt seem entirely attached.didnt let her move around too much this time, didnt want her to bend her neck enough to rip the scab free, with it being a single scab over the entire length of the wound that wouldnt be too hard to do and who knows what damage might happen if that occurs (ive had some where nothing happened except losing the scab and some where it ripped the wound back open).

and is there anything i should supplement her normal feed of pellets (still soaking them to a slight mush to keep them from being anything other then soft mush for her crop) to assist the healing? the pellets are basic layer feed. with a wound that size id think she might need extra of some nutrients to help supply her body with what it needs to grow the new tissue.

This covered human healing needs, I thought it was a good place to start. http://www.livestrong.com/article/115716-vitamins-heal-wounds/

Perhaps @casportpony has a handy list.

This http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Health/Vitamins-and-Electrolytes-Plus-p179.aspx is a good general supplement - I use it from time to time.

From what I read on live strong, Vitamin C is very important to healing, as well as A, and the B vitamins. I would add a couple tablespoons of good quality dry cat kibble (you can moisten it) for protein and vitamins, also. Salad would help, I would think - I mean, leafy greens.

since her wound and bandages have been staying clean ive only been changing them every other day. i know i should be doing at least daily changes but i was only able to get enough bandages for 10 changes and am now broke until middle or end of next week at least so i have to make them last as long as possible. thats why the updates havent been daily for the last few.

during todays change i gave the entire wound a good look over including pushing the feathers away from the edges to check them more throughly and lightly touching various areas to check that they werent drying out or anything. the entire wound now has a scab like covering, except its one of those thats not a dried/clotted blood scab. its still a bit flexible and soft, but also a little stiff. the lower edge of it (right as the bottom of her neck) is cracked up a bit, but apparently not really sore or anything. the scab looks almost just like the wound but its not wet looking anymore (definiftly wasnt there last check) and is raised a bit from the normal surface of her neck.

because of this change i couldnt check on the crops hole, but the scab there was a bit more bendy then the scab over the rest. perhaps the possible split i saw last time was actually the scab forming at an early stage and not a new hole in the crop (seeing between the crop and the scab? ive had scabs like these on a smaller scale and they are kinda like the damaged tissue gets replaced from underneath turning the injured tissue into the scab rather then a scab forming over it and sometimes its not entirely attached to the tissue its protecting. they last a lot longer then the normal dark scab (a lot longer) but they also seem a lot stronger and more flexible, able to take more of a beating before peeling or flaking off.since the crop moves a lot it would make sense that its scab became a shell instead of sticking to the crop and the edges of the scab along the outer edge of the wound near the crop didnt seem entirely attached.didnt let her move around too much this time, didnt want her to bend her neck enough to rip the scab free, with it being a single scab over the entire length of the wound that wouldnt be too hard to do and who knows what damage might happen if that occurs (ive had some where nothing happened except losing the scab and some where it ripped the wound back open).

and is there anything i should supplement her normal feed of pellets (still soaking them to a slight mush to keep them from being anything other then soft mush for her crop) to assist the healing? the pellets are basic layer feed. with a wound that size id think she might need extra of some nutrients to help supply her body with what it needs to grow the new tissue.
I think since the wounds aren't weeping every other day is probably fine for changing. Sounds like she is coming along real well in the healing process. Do you have any poultry vitamins? they would help give her immune system a boost and help in healing. Does she like having more light? I would think she would.

I have the chick vitamin/electrolyte mix and have been giving her that. I can add some cat food, greens, and extra vitamin c easily enough.

she is enjoying the window, being loud about it, but better then moping. i think she would love being back out with the others more, but she still spends a good part of each day talking to them.

I have the chick vitamin/electrolyte mix and have been giving her that. I can add some cat food, greens, and extra vitamin c easily enough.

she is enjoying the window, being loud about it, but better then moping. i think she would love being back out with the others more, but she still spends a good part of each day talking to them.
That's good she can see them, and is talking to them, can they see her too, so when she is ready to go back outside she will be accepted back into the flock.

Sounds like you have the vitamins taken care of.

gave her supplemented feed like suggested (layer pellets, a little cat food, leafy greens, and a bit of left over bell pepper for a bit of extra vitamin c, all soaked and minced in a chopper so its all tiny bits). since i gave it to her this morning she has periodically stopped whatever she was doing and shook her head from side to side (standing entirely upright) until she spat out (cant think of a better term for it) a few bites of food and a bunch of mucus like stuff (mostly clear but slightly white). once her mouth was clear she'd get a drink and then go and re-eat the lost food. her bowl is empty now and there isnt really any sign of it so some of it must have made it through far enough to not be forced out. i had thought i might have gone a little tight on the bandage and that was keeping it from letting food through, but shes still doing it after rewrapping much looser (looser then the previous bandages).

any idea on whats going on? is it normal, something to be worried about, or just a wait and see situation? only time ive had something like this was from a dying bird, but shes still as active as ever and just wants more food. she even got a bath today (bandage on ofcourse) with fish (brought in for company) and kept beating him to all the little treats which a few min later were (most of them) back in the water.

Last edited:
gave her supplemented feed like suggested (layer pellets, a little cat food, leafy greens, and a bit of left over bell pepper for a bit of extra vitamin c, all soaked and minced in a chopper so its all tiny bits). since i gave it to her this morning she has periodically stopped whatever she was doing and shook her head from side to side (standing entirely upright) until she spat out (cant think of a better term for it) a few bites of food and a bunch of mucus like stuff (mostly clear but slightly white). once her mouth was clear she'd get a drink and then go and re-eat the lost food. her bowl is empty now and there isnt really any sign of it so some of it must have made it through far enough to not be forced out. i had thought i might have gone a little tight on the bandage and that was keeping it from letting food through, but shes still doing it after rewrapping much looser (looser then the previous bandages).

any idea on whats going on? is it normal, something to be worried about, or just a wait and see situation? only time ive had something like this was from a dying bird, but shes still as active as ever and just wants more food. she even got a bath today (bandage on ofcourse) with fish (brought in for company) and kept beating him to all the little treats which a few min later were (most of them) back in the water.
I've seen mine eat too fast and do what you described, so hopefully that was it, especially since she continued to eat and was active after even enjoyed bath time with a friend. When you take the bandage off do you see any sign on the bandage that there is leakage ?

Back
Top Bottom