Very large saddle aircell, day 24 duck eggs.

Have any of you seen a bruised egg live?
I have one that is hatching perfect with the external pip,
And I have another pipping the wrong end.

But one has what looks like a bleed/bruising in the air cell...
The egg is rocking so it is still alive, and the bruise is not super large.
Might it live?

Have any of you seen a bruised egg live?
I have one that is hatching perfect with the external pip,
And I have another pipping the wrong end.

But one has what looks like a bleed/bruising in the air cell...
The egg is rocking so it is still alive, and the bruise is not super large.
Might it live?

Yes! In the hatch along we discussed this at length and they often still hatch just fine. I just had a turkey chick that pipped through a decent sized blood vessel and you wouldn't even know it happened, the poult was perfectly fine when it hatched. I would just keep a close eye on them but hopefully they will still hatch without issue! :fl
Are you finding that you have many hatching early then? Is it possible that the temp on your incubator is slightly high? Higher temps can cause early hatches.

Yes! In the hatch along we discussed this at length and they often still hatch just fine. I just had a turkey chick that pipped through a decent sized blood vessel and you wouldn't even know it happened, the poult was perfectly fine when it hatched. I would just keep a close eye on them but hopefully they will still hatch without issue! :fl
Are you finding that you have many hatching early then? Is it possible that the temp on your incubator is slightly high? Higher temps can cause early hatches.
Thank goodness!!!!
My temperatures usually stay stable,and I always cross check with multiple thermometers and hydrometers.
The temperature seems quite stable at 99.5 in my incubator this hatch, EXCEPT NOW?!
I turned it down to 99 and the incubator is going from 99 to 100
It has never fluctuated that much before!
I have a thermometer for reptiles that saves the highest and lowest temperature readings, and how long those readings lasted.
Nothing over 100.1 ever and it never lasted over a few seconds.
I'm thinking it might again fall back to genetics, because a friend's broody hen hatched some of my duck eggs (about 12) and they hatched 3 days early except maybe 2 that hatched on time.

Just checked my notes. This particular egg I showed with that huge saddle actually pipped on the bottom.

However, I also as a test incubated this egg on its side. Then I really screwed up putting it upright to hatch. Live and learn.

Also, most every egg that pipped on the bottom for me bruised, but lived. It’s incredibly common for you to see bruises in duck eggs I think. I had one bruise that did not make it before I noticed anything happening and it pipped on the wrong side and on the bottom. Poor thing.

Additional notes: it was 48 hours from bottom pip to hatch for each egg just about. More than half needed an assist.

Also, to comfort you, I found this photo. I love it when candling you can see the MASSIVE size of the vessel busted when pipping. This egg hatched with no assist.

I can’t remember if I said but the saddle celled egg I posted did need an assist. It could not move in the egg to zip.

60957C32-3613-49DC-9E14-73AB7ED88E56.jpeg

Additional notes: it was 48 hours from bottom pip to hatch for each egg just about. More than half needed an assist.

Also, to comfort you, I found this photo. I love it when candling you can see the MASSIVE size of the vessel busted when pipping. This egg hatched with no assist.

I can’t remember if I said but the saddle celled egg I posted did need an assist. It could not move in the egg to zip.

View attachment 1845167
Thank you so much!!! I appreciate all the advice so much!
I will keep close eyes on them then!
So far I have the bruised egg, two pipped on the bottom, and two that have managed to externally pip!

Back
Top Bottom