Very large saddle aircell, day 24 duck eggs.

Pics

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
I have a duck eggs on day 24. My humidity has been between 45% and 55% (cheap still air incubator in Arizona is hard to keep stable.)
Most of the air cells in my eggs seem on track. However I have a few saddled air cells, but ONE egg has a HUGE saddle aircell.Like half the egg! Most of the duckling is bulging into the aircell (it has not pipped but I can see the legs and feet pushing far into the membrane.)
These were not shipped eggs. They are fresh from my own ducks.
I turned the humidity up to 65%+.
I'm a meddler when incubating, and since artificial incubation has so much room for error I do not believe in the whole "let nature take its course and let the weakest die" crud. I don't need a lecture on interveining. I have my incubator in a bathroom during lockdown, and I only open it after I have had a warm shower going and the humidity in the room matches the incubator. I also have the eggs set so I can candle without moving them. I only intervien if they pip the wrong side, or to give emergency airholes when it's been more than 24 hours since the internal pip. (Lost too many just sitting on my thumbs.) Most of these birds do not get bred so I'm not worried about causing genetic hatch problems.
I'm assuming this chick will need assistance, and will be shrink wrapped, or just too small and weak to hatch on it's own. I would appreciate positive advice or experience on this. I'm not confident about the success of this egg, but positivity and not just giving up goes a long way in my experience.
Sorry if I sound abrasive or impatient now or in future responses, but I'm about as moody as the angriest broody hen is when we get this close to hatch. Hahaha. :'D

It gets really hard when you set too many eggs. But I’m so nervous to do shipped eggs and get nothing, so I always pack them in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ plus I had internal pips at lockdown last time, so I rushed through the final weighing.

So much of incubation is YOUR environment, your incubator, your room, etc. I figured I would start taking the notes I could and go from there to see if I see things happen the same over time.

Plus, I try and incubate various ways (some on the side and some upright) and see what works and what doesn’t.

Here is a duck egg that had my “worst saddle” as you can see on the notes. ;-) you can also see the saddle cell marked in pencil and that’s the candling from SETTING this egg. The final cell is marked just above this drawing down and then you can see how far drawn down the egg was. Half the egg.

I will find my notes to see if this egg pipped on the bottom or not.

BF7213F6-D319-4D45-9918-D7D0E7732911.jpeg

Thank you!
Here is a duck egg that had my “worst saddle” as you can see on the notes. ;-) you can also see the saddle cell marked in pencil and that’s the candling from SETTING this egg. The final cell is marked just above this drawing down and then you can see how far drawn down the egg was. Half the egg.

I will find my notes to see if this egg pipped on the bottom or not.

View attachment 1844381
Also, that is the neatest and smartest thing! I had never thought to keep a notebook on the eggs! I just wing it usually...
I think I need to get more serious haha.
I do have extensive spreadsheets on all birds after they hatch so... I might do one for my hatches!

Back
Top Bottom