Very large saddle aircell, day 24 duck eggs.

Pics

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
I have a duck eggs on day 24. My humidity has been between 45% and 55% (cheap still air incubator in Arizona is hard to keep stable.)
Most of the air cells in my eggs seem on track. However I have a few saddled air cells, but ONE egg has a HUGE saddle aircell.Like half the egg! Most of the duckling is bulging into the aircell (it has not pipped but I can see the legs and feet pushing far into the membrane.)
These were not shipped eggs. They are fresh from my own ducks.
I turned the humidity up to 65%+.
I'm a meddler when incubating, and since artificial incubation has so much room for error I do not believe in the whole "let nature take its course and let the weakest die" crud. I don't need a lecture on interveining. I have my incubator in a bathroom during lockdown, and I only open it after I have had a warm shower going and the humidity in the room matches the incubator. I also have the eggs set so I can candle without moving them. I only intervien if they pip the wrong side, or to give emergency airholes when it's been more than 24 hours since the internal pip. (Lost too many just sitting on my thumbs.) Most of these birds do not get bred so I'm not worried about causing genetic hatch problems.
I'm assuming this chick will need assistance, and will be shrink wrapped, or just too small and weak to hatch on it's own. I would appreciate positive advice or experience on this. I'm not confident about the success of this egg, but positivity and not just giving up goes a long way in my experience.
Sorry if I sound abrasive or impatient now or in future responses, but I'm about as moody as the angriest broody hen is when we get this close to hatch. Hahaha. :'D

I recently found a home bred guinea fowl egg with a saddle shaped aircell at lockdown. I didn’t know what to think, but it hatched the next day, several days early and is doing fine. Good luck with your hatch!

Attachments

• 6FB69A49-FF50-4C8B-9A4C-AE42BA3214A2.jpeg
    6FB69A49-FF50-4C8B-9A4C-AE42BA3214A2.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 18
Thanks!
I will attach a picture of the egg in quwquest as soon as I get home
Wondering if I should have stopped turning on that egg now?
But it's only day 24!

I mean day 24 isn't super early to stop turning, and since I've been doing manual turning I would be able to just stop with that one.
So should I stop turning that one?

Back
Top Bottom