Very late egg - will mama hen accept it!

Abigrayl

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Nine beautiful chicks hatched between yesterday and today. One egg left - but it’s very late. It looks like its on Day 15 when candled - but it’s the same age as the others (I’m pretty sure). It did get cold at one point. It was moving a lot when I checked it. Anyway. My plan is to keep it in my bra in the day and with her at night. I have a desk job. Do you think this crazy plan has any chance of success? And will she accept it if it hatches? 6 days younger than the others?

It may not make it if it's having that many developmental problems. The fact that it's still moving is promising, but it may end up not having the strength to hatch even once it does reach full size. There are likely other factors at play causing the small size.

I've had some luck integrating younger chicks, but that much of an age difference may mean it can't keep up when mama takes its siblings out and about. I'd be prepared to buy another chick or two to keep it company and keep them as brooder babies -- but I wouldn't rush out and get those buddies just yet.

Back
Top Bottom