Very loud chirping chick - should I be concerned?

I know this is an old thread, but aim having this problem. I have a 4 day old barred rock who stands on top of the Premier 1 heater plate and SQUACKS whenever she's the only one out from under the plate. She stops if I go in the room. Food and water are fine. Brooder is clean. No signs of sickness. Any ideas?

Hi there and welcome!

I am no experienced chicken-raiser by any means, but when I had that problem with my Barred Rock, I had to put it down to her being attention-loving in the end. She peeped at the top of her lungs right through her chick-days, and she has carried her attention-loving trait through into her adulthood, though she's no louder than her sisters these days :)

If you just watch them carefully and make sure temp is right and she hasn't got any health problems, as you're doing, she should be fine. (Offer her your hand to jump on and you'll might have a best friend).

Good luck!

One of my chicks are chirping really loud. He is very naughty they’re a week old. When I open the brooder and put my hand in he gets quiet and bites my arm haha but isn’t scared. Why’s he even chirping loudly. There’s only one and he’s cheeky. It’s not too hot and not too cold the rest just look at him when he’s chirping and like I said when I open the brooder he gets quiet. It’s only once in a while he chirps loudly

Hi there and welcome!

I am no experienced chicken-raiser by any means, but when I had that problem with my Barred Rock, I had to put it down to her being attention-loving in the end. She peeped at the top of her lungs right through her chick-days, and she has carried her attention-loving trait through into her adulthood, though she's no louder than her sisters these days :)

If you just watch them carefully and make sure temp is right and she hasn't got any health problems, as you're doing, she should be fine. (Offer her your hand to jump on and you'll might have a best friend).

Good luck!

One of my chicks are chirping really loud. He is very naughty they’re a week old. When I open the brooder and put my hand in he gets quiet and bites my arm haha but isn’t scared. Why’s he even chirping loudly. There’s only one and he’s cheeky. It’s not too hot and not too cold the rest just look at him when he’s chirping and like I said when I open the brooder he gets quiet. It’s only once in a while he chirps loudly

I know this is an old thread but thank you for sharing this information.

I currently have one as well. I believe the little one may be a roo. We have him (Nugget) + another (Noodle) that hatched last Sunday/Monday. I feel like Nugget is a colicky newborn. He starts around 8 every night standing on top of the heat plate chirping at the top of his lungs. Their brooder is clean, plenty of bedding, fresh water & food, warm & cooler sides of the brooder (pack n play) butts have been freshly cleaned. I believe all needs have been tended to. He stops if I pick him up unless Noodle starts calling out to him. Then he’ll be fine in the brooder her for a few minutes before he gets back on the heat plate & starts chirping again. He does this till around 11-12ish. Can chicks have colic?

I know this is an old thread but thank you for sharing this information.

I currently have one as well. I believe the little one may be a roo. We have him (Nugget) + another (Noodle) that hatched last Sunday/Monday. I feel like Nugget is a colicky newborn. He starts around 8 every night standing on top of the heat plate chirping at the top of his lungs. Their brooder is clean, plenty of bedding, fresh water & food, warm & cooler sides of the brooder (pack n play) butts have been freshly cleaned. I believe all needs have been tended to. He stops if I pick him up unless Noodle starts calling out to him. Then he’ll be fine in the brooder her for a few minutes before he gets back on the heat plate & starts chirping again. He does this till around 11-12ish. Can chicks have colic?
I found..there's always one. Never failed. :)

I am having the same problem - a very loud mouth Plymouth Rock, nearly 4 weeks old. She's in the brooder with two others who are quiet peepers and seem happy, so it's hard to figure out what she needs. But this has been very helpful forum... I put the temperature up and they finally settled. I had figured they were okay at 20 degrees because they seem happy during the day but maybe to sleep they more heat? Oh well, Ethel has finally gone to bed!!
My little Plymouth Rock has been screaming her head off since we got her. We named her sassy. She will stand on top of the brooder screaming and when I try to put her under it she just screams more. I think she’s just loud. But I do worry because she is smaller than the other two. Buff Orpington, and blue Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom