Very nervous/excited New Chicken lady

broodybroad

Hatching
Jan 3, 2016
Hello, My name is Jessica and I just joined BYC. I recently decided that I wanted to raise chickens for the eggs (here in Ohio we had a pretty bad year for chickens and egg prices went crazy!) Once I started researching back yard raising I realized how much more raising chickens could be. I have found a lot of helpful research here on BYC and decided to join. I just ordered 6 chicks through my local supply store and am very excited to start. Yes, I know it's winter, and I know its scary to start in the cold. But I didn't want to wait until Thanksgiving for eggs! Hopefully all the helpful tips that I have read here will get my first experience with chicks off to a great start. I ordered 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks and am hoping my American Bulldog is excited about his new family members! Any Positive feedback on raising babies in the cold is more than appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Hi Jessica, sorry I can't help you with the advice you need (I live in Kenya and we don't do cold weather :D) but thought I'd welcome you to BYC all the same. Others will be along soon to help you out- of that I have no doubt.

All the best
Ct

Nice to meet you Jessica. I suggest you join the Ohio thread and benefit from their weather & chicken knowledge in choice of breed. Just put "Ohio," in the search box and it will pop up. Also please do visit the Learning Center(above) which will answer most of your questions.

Please be vigilant with your dog. It's generally best if they NEVER meet the chickens. Dogs tend to regard chickens, especially chicks as squeaky toys. They love to chase and catch them. Of course once they do the squeaking stops (dead chicks) and the dogs run for another and so on. Even with nothing but love in their minds, dogs are dangerous just because of their size and strength.

Hello, My name is Jessica and I just joined BYC. I recently decided that I wanted to raise chickens for the eggs (here in Ohio we had a pretty bad year for chickens and egg prices went crazy!) Once I started researching back yard raising I realized how much more raising chickens could be. I have found a lot of helpful research here on BYC and decided to join. I just ordered 6 chicks through my local supply store and am very excited to start. Yes, I know it's winter, and I know its scary to start in the cold. But I didn't want to wait until Thanksgiving for eggs! Hopefully all the helpful tips that I have read here will get my first experience with chicks off to a great start. I ordered 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks and am hoping my American Bulldog is excited about his new family members! Any Positive feedback on raising babies in the cold is more than appreciated! Thanks everyone!
One, I love that you are starting this new adventure ! I just started in August, and I LOVE IT!

Two, I have an American Bulldog as well, Luke :) He's almost 2 and finds that they are more of a prey than anything. So just keep an eye on him :)

Three, welcome! any questions just ask !

welcome-byc.gif

This is a thread you might be interested in since you will be brooding your chicks in cold weather:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

It gets very cold. Mild winters stay in the teens and 20's F. We have been having some rougher winters. It stayed below 0 for quite a few days last year.

They are in! Just got a call from the feed and grain store. My chickens are FINALLY in! I am so excited to meet. them. Can't help but think that maybe a higher power was working here. I ordered my chicks over a month ago. They were expected to be a week MAYBE 2. I had just about given up when this weekend we had a very hard few days and had to make the decision to put down my dog, Bo. He was my baby and I am devastated. Today was my first day back to work after saying goodbye. On the way in as my eyes were misting up while thinking on how much different my life will be now without my sweet sweet boy, I got a call from the store that the chicks came in and are ready for pick up. I can't help but to think that maybe Bo is up there making sure I wasn't alone. I have already decided to name my favorite chick "Little Bo Peep" Wish me luck- this is the first time I have ever raised chickens; luckily here in Ohio it has been spring-like so far this winter! Great conditions for a newbie to raise babies in the middle of winter.

Back
Top Bottom