Very new and wanting to raise chickens in the mtns, CA

tjbabies

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Tehachapi CA
Hi- I am Tj and I am very new to this. I have been thinking for the past month that I want to have my own chickens. I am thinking maybe 4 to 6 only as it is just me and my husband I maybe going back to work really soon. I am also looking into building my chicken coop from recycled items or found items to help with the cost. I am a bit lost as to what kind of chickens I would like to have and what kind of run I need as I don't trust the birds. Any tips would be very appreciated.
Thank you

Very cool, you came to the right place!!
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome, from Connecticut! There's an amazingly useful 'breed selector tool' on http://www.mypetchickens.com where you can simply answer a few questions about what's important to you (ie; your climate, your egg production demands, etc.) and it recommends the breeds that fit your requirements. I hope that helps! Enjoy your new hobby!
43104_byc_welcome_photo_eggs_in_carton.jpg

hi welcome, i just started the chicken breeding this year and i think it was one of my best choice to do EVER i love my birds with all my heart and so glad i got them. ppl on here r really helpful if u need help with sickness and find out what breed or sex ur chick or chicken is. on the chickens u want depends on what u need them for if u want some that lay big brown eggs or white eggs or some chickens that r just pretty to show off, u got big chickens and bantam size http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx this site helps on picking a chicken it did for me i have alot a different but my fav r silkies, orpington, silve laced wyandotte and larg fowl cochins. and when it comes to ur run just a nice chicken fencing around ur coop u cant put something over the top so u dont have to clip ur chickens wings and keeps them from flying out or just clip their wings and they be fine i let mind out sometimes to eat bugs around the house and when sun starts going down they go back to the coop for their snack and then go to bed ^^ they r really smart bird smart then what ppl give them haha

I am in Southern California... welcome.

What kind of chickens you get depends on what you want them for, eggs? Just for pets and beauty? I saw one breeder site that told about each breed, what kind of and how good of layers they were, and something listed was what kind of weather they tolerated best.

It's good to get a predator proof coop and run built, with proper ventilation, a way to cool it when it's hot and humid and a way to warm it when it's cold, freezing, snowing... (you mention you're in the mountains). Built in easy cleaning access.
There is a lot of information here on BYC... you can check out coops here... You might want to buy the book: Raising Chickens for Dummies, I found it very informative and helpful, especially early on.
Baby chicks are more available in the Spring.

You can search for Breeders and Hatcheries (at least for research on breeds, your local feed store and/or local breeders will have chicks in the Spring and early summer, even to mid-summer) on the internet... for breed information. Here's one with "cold hearty" info by each breed and how many eggs they lay per week, some pictures, etc.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx

Good luck and welcome.

Hi! and Welcome
frow.gif
! I'm in the mountains too, Julian. I started with a mixed breed flock and they've all done well up here. There are meet ups, in fact there was one today in Norco. It's a fun way to meet local folks and see what they have. I have a covered run. I do free range my chickens, but I wouldn't this time of year. Too many hawks!! If you're in my neck of the woods you're more than welcome to check out my set up, get ideas and see my birds. If you have a way of picking one up, they are currently selling shipping crates on CL for $100 that would make an awesome coop converted. Here's a link to the San Diego thread. You'll want to check in from time to time to see what people have and see when the next meet up is. Were due for one here soon!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=384942

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom