VERY NOISY LAYER, I mean NOISY!!!!

two early

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
I have a buff orpington that has been laying for about 2 weeks (an egg a day) and as she is sitting in the nesting box she carries on like an old cackling biddy.....squawking loudly; then our roo answers her and then she responds...never heard anything like it. This can go on for 10-15 minutes until the egg pops out and she leaves the nest. Any one know if this is a fairly typical behavior or is she in pain? She doesn't seem sick in anyway and is not lethargic. Bounces right back with all the rest of them after that egg is out. Thanks for any information.

Several of my chicken chatter when they are on the nest, but its more of a quiet cooing/chattering and you can't hear it unless you are right next to the hen house. I do recall that one of them was louder when she was a pullet and is quieter about it now. Maybe yours will quiet down when the novelty wears off. Now my hens are really loud when they do the egg song after they lay....

Some of mine do. Sounds like they are sounding an alarm. I can not tell you how many times I went running out the door thinking something was trying to get them and what did I see? NOTHING but a hen laying an egg.
lau.gif
gig.gif
Crazy chickens.

Perfectly normal. It varies from hen to hen, most of mine seem to think the entire county needs to know.
roll.png

Some announce they are thinking about laying.
Some announce they are fixin' to lay.
Some announce they have made it to the nest.
Some announce that the nest box has passed inspection after some rearranging.
Some announce they are laying RIGHT NOW!
Some announce by golly, I did lay an egg.
Some announce I laid an egg, everybody go look.

Most of them announce every single stage, start to finish. All the other hens have to carry on the racket.

Meanwhile, the rooster has the microphone and is giving the play by play report!

Quote:
That about sums it up for my flock of 5 (edited as I could not count on one hand how many chickens I have!)! I have a particularly loud Welsummer who would do all of the above for what seems like an hour, mostly when the others are about to lay, are laying or have laid! Thankfully my closest neighbor has told me she does not mind them- I feel really bad about it. especially at 7 am on a weekend!

She did mention that one day they were making such a ruckus she looked over the fence to see if a predator was trying to get them.

She is the one neighbor I offer my vacation eggs to keep her happy and non-complaining!

Last edited:
Quote:
Absolutely!! LOL Sometimes tho I have to remind Zues that HE did not lay the egg! But guess he is a proud poppa too!

Back
Top Bottom