Very proud of myself - just opened unhatched eggs

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
I am the most squeamish person around when it comes to gore and dead animals so this is a very huge feat for me. I had to help 5 of my last chicks hatch starting last night (I helped because it was human error that caused the problem) so I decided to open the remaining 5. Obviously I was having issues with the hatch so I would either be able to help the remaining chicks or I couldn't.

One died before pipping, but was fully developed.
sad.png
Another one died before going into lock down I think or it was just really gooey (human error of too high of humidity?). Another one I couldn't open all the way because lots of really icky stuff ran out and I couldn't go any further. The other two were candling mistakes on my part. They must have died mid incubation I just couldn't tell. So, I learned that I need to get my humidity in check before I set the next eggs tomorrow night and I learned that I can do things that I never thought I could
smile.png

The other upside of it all: I have 5 beautiful little Serama chicks, all but one of them silkied
love.gif
This is one time where intervention went well.

Quote:
Way to go!!! I'm not fazed by much and rarely get squeamish-BUT usually let dh open the unhatched eggs. Kinda grosses me out. Did force myselfto watch the other day...The ne babies sound cute!!

Thank you everyone
smile.png
Losses are always hard but having these little fuzzies helps. I will be so glad when my Brinsea gets here on Friday. I know no incubator is fool proof but I think it will be a lot better than my LG. I'm just not a babysit type person and that is what I have to do with it.

I will post photos of the little ones on here in a few. The latest is still drying. Had to pull it out of the incubator right after hatch since the temp dropped drastically but she is doing well
love.gif

I force myself to open the unhatched ones too and try and figure out what went wrong. But, I put them inside a heavy duty ziploc bag. That way I don't get rotten egg everywhere if there is a candling mistake early on and the egg is just waiting to explode.
sickbyc.gif

hugs.gif
on the ones you saved
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you again. Everyone is doing ok except the latest one is having a hard time using her legs yet. It has only been a couple hours but I'm still a worry wart Mom. It is really trying but just can't get the legs under her. I guess it is more noticeable to me now since she is out of the incubator. While in the incubator I know they scoot around and keep trying to walk for a very long time.

Watch the little one with the leg issue. If one leg or both are dragging out to the side it could be splayed leg. If it is do a search for it here on BYC. It's easier to fix if you catch it early and treat it. Hobbles with tape, pipe cleaners, bandaids work well.

Back
Top Bottom