Very red butt (Warning:graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vepla, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Vepla

Vepla New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I have a very small two-hen coop. They are just over 1 year old. For the last couple of months, Isabella, one of my hens, has been molting (I think) but the feathers don't seem to be growing back. The other hen is fine and she has all her feathers. There are no mites or other visible parasites (I dust them with poultry dust once every couple of weeks in the summer). No pecking and plenty of room to scratch and roost in the run. I have given Isabella a couple of baths, which usually make her feel better, but she hasn't laid in over a week, she is tired and not her usual playful self. She eats and drinks very little and sits in the corner of the run.
    I can't figure out what to do. Can anyone help?
    Sorry about the graphic pictures, but it was the only way to describe the situation. We took them while she was in the tub, she is usually dry.
    Thanks for any help!
    Vepla

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Oh my that's bad. That happed to one of my grandmas hens and she died [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It looks a little large too. Seems to me there was something here about vent gleet making a red butt. There was also a case here where a kidney infection caused the red butt, that the poop was more acidic and irritating. Maybe the vent gleet does the same thing I don't know. You could try putting some plain neosporine on the red area for a few days. It might not hurt to be giving her some kind of broad spectrum antibiotic (tetracycline maybe). I applaud you for giving her the bath. I think the neosporine could go a long way.

4. Vepla

Vepla New Egg

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Chkn! I am reading up on vent gleet, and it seems to be what she has. I just got her to eat some yogurt, which has natural probiotics and is supposed to help. I'll wait until she's asleep tonight and get some neosporin on the bald spot. Great idea! I am so relieved there's something I can do--poor thing, I hope it works.
    Vepla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by