Very restrictive chicken ordinances

LittleBrownBird

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,
I recently moved with my small bantam chickens to a small Oklahoma town called Glenpool. I only have one left because one died. My neighborhood is surrounded by Agricultural zoning on 3 sides but the ordinances for chickens is so restrictive I will have to get rid of her. They say my coop must be 100' away from my neighbors houses. All our lots in this town as so small that I don't think anyone- in the city limits can meet that and the lady at the city I spoke to says they have never granted a permit to anyone since they wrote the ordinance about 2 years ago.
I just thought someone on here would understand or have some advice. I don't have cats or dogs. I love chickens and they are definitely not a nusance compared to some of the dogs and cats in my neighborhood.

Hi,
I recently moved with my small bantam chickens to a small Oklahoma town called Glenpool. I only have one left because one died. My neighborhood is surrounded by Agricultural zoning on 3 sides but the ordinances for chickens is so restrictive I will have to get rid of her. They say my coop must be 100' away from my neighbors houses. All our lots in this town as so small that I don't think anyone- in the city limits can meet that and the lady at the city I spoke to says they have never granted a permit to anyone since they wrote the ordinance about 2 years ago.
I just thought someone on here would understand or have some advice. I don't have cats or dogs. I love chickens and they are definitely not a nusance compared to some of the dogs and cats in my neighborhood.

Wow that sucks ,,,,,,,
welcome-byc.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

If you have any questions type your question into the search box at the top of the page
thumbsup.gif

Could you keep her as a housepet? There is a thread called "people with house chickens," it's getting more popular to have/or hide chickens in the house.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry. I agree with Drumstick Diva here. Keep her as a house pet if all else fails. Here is a link to a nice thread where LOTS of members here on BYC keep lone or even several chickens and other poultry as house pets...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Good luck with this and I hope you can work something out. :)

I have never posted like this before so not sure if I am doing it right but they also have ordinances that are contrary to how the local cooperative recommends for chickens. Its like whoever wrote the ordinances hates chickens. Regular application of insecticides are mandatory. I feed and cover my chickens with diotemaceous earth so parasites are not a problem and the cooperative says insecticides are only an alternative to good management and sanitation. Also the code makes it mandatory to store all your chicken litter in air tight container and dispose of outside the city limits every two weeks, which does not eliminate the problem it only moves it temporarily. The cooperative, which is a good resource by the is Oklahoma State University extension http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2115/ANSI-8206web.pdf. Sorry I might not be using the right terms. anyway they recommend firstly to spread the litter on the ground so it dries out as the best way to manage flies. The city requires you to pick up all chicken bombs (litter) in your yard and also put them in the air tight container.

Thank you for support. Does anyone have any kind of research on diotemacous earth?

Back
Top Bottom