Very sad day :(

I’m so sorry. It’s hard to tell exactly what it was since lots of predators go for the breast/crop area. I’m so sorry you found her like this- especially after a long life well and not fully lived. 😞 A loss like this is hard on you, the kids, and most of all the flock. I had lost 8 out Of my flock one day. After that my poor Pebbles was never herself- depressed, and started to have health issues, and died at 2 years old a year later. I was so sad to lose my birds that day, and Pebbles all that time afterward. Chickens have feelings to, and they certainly are capable of loving just as much as you ❤ I hope your flock recovers I’m so sorry this happend.

How awful.

Just shot a rather large rat and even opened the stomach contents up to see if it was the culprit. Not sure whether a rat would actually chase a bantam in broad daylight and then eat half its breast. I've gone into revenge mode.

How awful.

Just shot a rather large rat and even opened the stomach contents up to see if it was the culprit. Not sure whether a rat would actually chase a bantam in broad daylight and then eat half its breast. I've gone into revenge mode.
Maybe. Good aim btw, rats are quick. Did you find anything in there? I doubt a rat would do such a thing but never say never

Maybe. Good aim btw, rats are quick. Did you find anything in there? I doubt a rat would do such a thing but never say never

80 yard shot - I've had lots of practice! Once dissected I found a red gloopy mess in its stomach. I was expecting a more dry, perhaps seed-like content. Pic below (took picture after I threw it over the fence, but contents shown on top over fur):

Attachments

• 20201006_133223.jpg
    20201006_133223.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 3
Wow. You’re a good shot and a stalwart soul to go digging around in a rat’s gut.

What I really want to say is how brave and devoted you are to go searching for your sweet girl, knowing full well if you found anything it probably would not be good. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Do you know how the predator got your girl?

Wow. You’re a good shot and a stalwart soul to go digging around in a rat’s gut.

What I really want to say is how brave and devoted you are to go searching for your sweet girl, knowing full well if you found anything it probably would not be good. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Do you know how the predator got your girl?

Thank you! I have no idea how this critter managed to get my sebright, but my eyes are peeled and cameras are on their way...

I'm so sorry! That is truly awful. Chickens can be our best friends and those little fluff-balls that are lost will always be missed. Sending comfort from one chicken mama to another!:hugs

So today my little silver sebright bantam was attacked and died. She was 7 years old, and I assume it was a fox who waited when I was on the school run with the children, and killed her. Apparently they are that cunning and will watch movements of humans.

It took me two hours to find her little body, stuck at the end of a rotten trunk. I had to follow a trail of feathers and noticed she had a large chunk taken out of her breast :(.

Have pics below. Guessing it must have been a fox?
3 raccoons got my chicken October 7th 1:00 am(pacific time zone)
so sorry that happened We're all here for you :hugs

How awful.

I looked up Do rats eat chickens?
and found this: Rats can squeeze through spaces as small as the diameter of a quarter. Some can even squeeze through the holes in chicken wire. This fact combined with chewing is why chicken wire is not your best defense. Rats will kill and eat baby chicks and in desperation will also attack grown chickens.

Here is a link that might help: do rats hunt chickens?

I am so sorry :hugs fox generally snatch and run. You may be dealing with a different predator. Can you set up a game cam? Definitely confine your flock if you can.

Back
Top Bottom