Very Sick Chick

Wow, Haunted. I don't know whether to be grateful for your post or hurt by it. I have already implied I am a new Momma and I am learning. All of my chickens are coccidia free from sulmet and medicated feed. I would appreciate it if you would give me the benefit of the doubt. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all, please. I am on here for information, not to be talked down to like I am a child.

hi corid is a really great medication for cocci because it kills all 9 strains of cocci while other medications only actually kill SOME strains so corid would be the medication of choice to kill ALL the strains. then after treatment you might want to give a probotics to replace the good bacteria lost during treatment. sometimes people give us mid information unfortunately like your breeder for what ever reason perhaps she does not know herself but giving her the benefit of the doubt but she is incorrect. coccidosis is NOT something they are born with however all chickens do have some level of cocci in them; perhaps that is what she ment .but its when the cocci gets out of check and unbalanced is when it becomes a issue. what some people do is slowly expose your chicks to the cocci in your dirt so they develop a slow resistance to it. cocci is a parasite and its everywhere. building a slow resistance by introducing small amounts of soil in the brooder can be helpful. I did short trips outside with a short duration at a time to help build a resistance with mine plus I gave medicated feed. I was blessed that I've not had coccidosis yet. however I have corid on hand invade I do. I hope some of this was helpful to you. I understand what its like being a new mommy and learning. what I did was buy some books [ I probably bought 15 books) and read them All! that helped me learn a lot. now I'm studying disease and treatments out of vet books. getting in deeper and more advanced with my reading but books are so valuable when learning. I highly recommended storeys guide to raising chickens . that was an excellent book or the chicken whispers guide to back yard poultry. I love reading and learning and books have really helped me with my flock. if your interested in learning more I highly recommended reading several books on poultry. if you want more titles just pm me and I'd be happy to give you names of some great books. this is what I do and how I learn more. whew sorry for the long post but I do hope I've helped you in some way. I wish you the best and a happy healthy flock!

Wow, Haunted. I don't know whether to be grateful for your post or hurt by it. I have already implied I am a new Momma and I am learning. All of my chickens are coccidia free from sulmet and medicated feed. I would appreciate it if you would give me the benefit of the doubt. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all, please. I am on here for information, not to be talked down to like I am a child.
If it came across that way, I am truly sorry. I was angry that a breeder would give that kind of information to you. I have never found anything that said cocci is passed through the egg and to imply that to you is wrong. I still hold to what I said, you should be aware of the truth in order to be able to form an educated opinion when dealing with breeders and such. As Realsis said, maybe they just didn't know, but MHO on that is if you do not have the experience or the knowlege to give the correct information to a buyer, maybe you shouldn't be selling at all. I personally have to wonder what else they don't know and what else you may have to deal with later on because of that. Somethings do come through and if you don't know the condition of the parent flock, the breeder isn't forthcoming or has no clue themselves, you could end up in a place you don't want to be.

As a new chicken owner, this may seem harsh and I am sorry for that. I hope you will take it in the way it was given and read, read and then read some more. The stickys at the top of each section here are invaluable and you should go through them. Search here on BYC for cocci and any of the other diseases poultry can have. Hopefully you will never need the info, but if you do, it's already in your head and you will make the right choices and decisions if faced with something else.

Something I forgot to add to this....keep a journal of some kind. Write down any meds given, the date started and finished, symptoms, etc.. You will find this to be the biggest help later on. Make a separate section that lists drugs and their dosing info and for what they are used. If you come across info while you are reading here on BYC, add it in. This will help you discover patterns in your flock and also be there 24/7 with info to help you face emergencies.

Last edited:
hi corid is a really great medication for cocci because it kills all 9 strains of cocci....... what I did was buy some books [ I probably bought 15 books) and read them All! that helped me learn a lot. now I'm studying disease and treatments out of vet books. getting in deeper and more advanced with my reading but books are so valuable when learning. I highly recommended storeys guide to raising chickens . that was an excellent book or the chicken whispers guide to back yard poultry. I love reading and learning and books have really helped me with my flock. if your interested in learning more I highly recommended reading several books on poultry. if you want more titles just pm me and I'd be happy to give you names of some great books. this is what I do and how I learn more. whew sorry for the long post but I do hope I've helped you in some way. I wish you the best and a happy healthy flock!
So true Realsis, books are your best friend and the more the better. Not all authors have everything in their works so the info we gather from many sources is usually the best. Lol, right now my husband is asking me why I need more books than the amount of chickens I have. If he only knew....

I really thank you for your advice and I apologize for being so harsh back at you. I really must have read that wrong. I was really just worried about my babies and I lashed out a bit. I do apologize and again thank you for your information. It is very much so needed and wanted :)

Quote:
I can't help myself but to butt in. I've seen myself and other people post stuff that is taken wrong because of the lack of inflection while not hearing someone speak.

People are extremely upset about their sick chickens.

Some people are more blunt than others, or more motherly than others, etc. Sometimes it's pretty hard to figure out how someone means something. But sooner or later, you discover who is really trying to help, and who is a nasty negative butt-insky.

Gawd, I'm such a philosopher!
old.gif

I can't help myself but to butt in. I've seen myself and other people post stuff that is taken wrong because of the lack of inflection while not hearing someone speak.

People are extremely upset about their sick chickens.

Some people are more blunt than others, or more motherly than others, etc. Sometimes it's pretty hard to figure out how someone means something. But sooner or later, you discover who is really trying to help, and who is a nasty negative butt-insky.

Gawd, I'm such a philosopher!
old.gif
Lol! Truth Seminolewind, truth. I look at it like this, no harm, no foul. I've been right there where she is, many a time and probably will be again.

Well I thank you for being so understanding. I am so glad she is better. I mean it was a miraculous recovery. She fights with my black Australorp, Oreo constantly heehee

Well I thank you for being so understanding. I am so glad she is better. I mean it was a miraculous recovery. She fights with my black Australorp, Oreo constantly heehee
Good, if they're fighting and squabbling, they aren't sick. It's nice to hear a happy ending now and then, lol.

Back
Top Bottom