Very sick chicken! Lethargic, underweight, breathing heavy

Well, she died this morning. :(

I'm not sure what to do now. Is it worth doing a necropsy? The local university extension branch charges $260 -- is that my best option? Would a regular vet be better (or worse)? Or should I not worry about it, since none of my other chickens have any symptoms?

Sorry for your loss. Yes, that is an enormous amount for a necropsy. That is why many don't have them done. Sometimes you can learn from doing your own if it is something obvious, and you have seen normal insides before. I believe many vets would charge more, and still send them off to the state vet anyway.

My only hands-on experience with the insides of birds is a pigeon dissection from...oh...9 years ago? I doubt I'd be able to tell what's normal and what isn't. So I'll pass on doing my own necropsy for the time being, I think.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
My only hands-on experience with the insides of birds is a pigeon dissection from...oh...9 years ago? I doubt I'd be able to tell what's normal and what isn't. So I'll pass on doing my own necropsy for the time being, I think.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
hugs.gif
Many things would be quite obvious, but I understand not wanting to do one and have just buried some of mine instead. Take care of yourself!
hugs.gif

-Kathy

There used to be oleander bushes nearby, but they were taken out awhile ago. ...Unless there were some remaining dried bits that got into the run? It seems unlikely but possible...

Hello I have a barred rock and she has recently just been acting lethargic. She can't walk and keeps twisting her head. Her eyes mostly stay closed been when she opens them they are normal color. She is drinking when I give it to her by syringe and eating only if I hand feed her soft food. I have 2chickens and the other one is acting perfectly normal. Please help. I have been giving her electrolytes and soft food

Back
Top Bottom