very sick chicken - rest of flock at risk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6512andgrowing, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 6512andgrowing

6512andgrowing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    Hi, I have an auracauna hen who is listless, eyes closed, drooling some brown liquid. This has been going on for 2-3 days.
    Any idea what is going on? She seems close to death. Could she infect the rest of the flock?
    (We have 7 hens in our backyard in southwest Colorado)

Thank you so much wise chicken friends,
    Rachel

Growing an urban homestead at 6512 feet: http://6512andgrowing.wordpress.com/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. back4roosting

back4roosting Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Hello 6512andgrowing,

I am pretty new to the chicken world but your post struck me because my Ameraucana is acting in a similar manner. I still don't know what is wrong but she has perked up today. Have you looked up sour crop? It may provide some clues or eliminate one from the list. My girl was hiding in a corner all day and wouldn't eat. I felt her crop and it felt like a soft balloon. She perked up today but still not 100%. Let us know what happens with your girl.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do check the sour and the impacted crop advice on this site. You can use search feature above. If a vet is possible, hurry. She feels just dreadful, from the sounds of it.
    Also try renaming title to express urgency and to ask if you can get crop help.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by