very sick chicken should i cull?

coffeychicks

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
moncks corner s
I have a bird named Jesse. Last night I found her in the corner of the coop puffed out tail down walking funny I thought egg bound since it was hatched in march no idea if pullets or cockerl I brought it in have it under heat lamp with yougert water in a towel this morning she can't stand up. I put her on her feet she fell forward and couldn't get up. I am at a loss. Is this cocci merks she sounds raspy. Heavy breathing almost gasping. Coughing. But no runny nose or eyes. She won't eat but I am getting her to drink with a dropper. I have 16 other chickens outside. One hatched with her plus 6 pullets from tsc. And 2 and 3year old hens my original flock. Plus 8 in the brooder. Please tell me I am not going to have to cull my endtire flock I would be crushed.

If she is coughing and raspy she may have infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma. Tylan 50 is a good drug to use on her--1 ml by mouth or as a shot every day for 5 days. Just squirt a little in her mouth and give her time to swallow. Keep her isolated until she has no symptoms. She could have cocci, too. Watch her poops for diarrhea or blood. Corid would be the treatment for that, but I would treat with Tylan for now.

She has been in the crate for16 hours and no poop crop is empty. My kids are heartbroken. Where can I get corid my tsc doesn't carry it at best I can order it online but it won't be fast to get here

They should have it in the cattle meds section. It is also called amprollium. Sulfamethoxine (brand names Albon, Di-Methox, and Sulfamed-G) is also good. Sulmet would be my last choice to give as it is hard on the chicks, but it has been used for cocci for many years, although it only treats 2 out of 9 strains. Giving her some buttermilk with some cornmeal or chick crumbles mixed in will coat the intestines until med arrives.

Last edited:
So an update Jesse ate some eggs ordered meds will get here Tuesday. But can't stand still. It is like she has lost control of her legs. Vent was caked with poop cleaned her up and she has the most awful smell on her. I mean made me gag nasty is this normal for cocci or is this something else

She has been in the crate for16 hours and no poop crop is empty. My kids are heartbroken. Where can I get corid my tsc doesn't carry it at best I can order it online but it won't be fast to get here

Are you sure they don't have it? It's usually in the cattle section.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom