Very Sick Chicken

dovertowngirl

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
Hi: I have a female Australorp, about 18 months old, who is very sick. She has diarrhea, is very thin, barely eating and drinking, lethargic, and a slow heart rate. She is also not able to stand well. It seems like her legs (left especially) are not working right? I have tried everything I know yesterday and today, but she doesn't seem to be getting any better. I finally found a couple of poultry vets nearby, but neither was open today. I am headed to one of them tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong? And if so, any advice? I am super stressed about this sweet girl. Thanks for your help.

I have no idea what this is, it seems very serious though! I'm very sorry about your hen! I hope the vets can help. Keep me posted!

Welcome to BYC. Start some electrolytes with vitamins in her water, and try feeding some with dipping her beak or using a dropper to drop some into her beak. If you can't get that, you can use Pedialyte, Gatorade, or put a small pinch or salt and tsp of sugar in a liter of water. She may be dehydrated weak from not eating. Has she been wormed recently, or have you seen any coccidiosis in your flock? Have you added any new birds recently? Make sure that she is kept warm, and take in some fresh droppings to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom