Very sick chicken

WanderingWarbler

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
Noticed my 1 yo Appenzeller Spitzhauben was listless and lethargic 2 days ago. She is normally very friendly, loves being held, a real pet, but on Tuesday she was just standing in the coop, eyes closed, wings drooped. Picked her up and she's definitely lost weight. Brought her in Tuesday and since then have been giving Pedialyte, wet crumbles, I dewormed her, and am keeping her in a cool dark box. As of today, she's not dead, but I don't see much difference. Still won't eat or drink on her own. I'm incredibly worried about her. She's my favorite chicken. None of the others are exhibiting any of these symptoms. I gave Nutri-drench today, along with applesauce, yogurt, all kinds of stuff to see if she would have anymore energy. She preened for the first time today but again is very lethargic. Any suggestions? Ideas? I do not have a vet that sees chickens anywhere close. I do not see parasites in the poop, attached is pic. Again, no issue with other chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Will pick up first thing tomorrow. Do you know how long it should take to start working?
If in fact it's coccidiosis and she drinks the treated water, you should see improvement within 5 days. The dosage for the 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Dont add anything else to the mixture and make it fresh each day.
You can cut the mixture in half to save on the corid if you wish.
Just round it up to 10cc's, and only add 5cc's liquid corid to 2 quarts of water instead of one gallon of water.
639-amprolium_1.jpg

If in fact it's coccidiosis and she drinks the treated water, you should see improvement within 5 days. The dosage for the 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Dont add anything else to the mixture and make it fresh each day.
You can cut the mixture in half to save on the corid if you wish.
Just round it up to 10cc's, and only add 5cc's liquid corid to 2 quarts of water instead of one gallon of water.
View attachment 2164119
Got it and how long can we not eat eggs, giving to all girls.

I don't know anything about this, but I'm responding to bring the thread back to the top so more people can see it. Hope your girl gets better!

Back
Top Bottom