1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by remisophy, Jun 16, 2017.

1. remisophy

remisophy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I'm not sure how to start a thread on here but I have a very sick hand and I've been treating her for almost 2 weeks now her stomach is very hard extended and red her vent is protruded and her breast bone is sticking out I have been soaking her I have been giving her yogurt feeding her syringing fluids to her I don't want her to suffer she does eat some on her own please help

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
  3. DocBirdBrain

DocBirdBrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2011
    I'm really sorry to hear about your hen, remisophy. She sounds very ill, and if she hasn't responded to 2 weeks of supportive care I think she has a very poor prognosis.
    As PD-Riverman suggested, she may have a severe infection of her reproductive tract (salpingitis) or internal tumors. If you can't keep her comfortable, it may be kindest to let her go.
    If you are able, you can perform a necropsy at home to try to determine the cause, or you can take her a diagnostic lab to have that done professionally. The Oregon Veterinary Diagnostic Lab at the vet school will do it for $38, and it would be good information to have.

PD-Riverman likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by