Very sick pullet. Help!

Layer or Starter and for how long?

I'd still work on the basis of Coccidiosis since you started the Corid, but would consider giving an antibiotic since the fecal float didn't show an overload.
Sulfa antibiotic would probably be the way to go.
Layer feed, started at 18 weeks

Thank you. She’s still very sleepy this am. But when I prop her up she eats her food and promptly falls back asleep.

According to my husband she is drinking a lot of water. I’m glad she’s getting all that corid water in her, but idk if that’s a sign of anything internally wrong.

Still very lethargic and not eating much. I soaked her in warm water with epsom salt to clean her vent. She feels like she’s skin and bones. I feel like I’ve done everything I could at this point and I’m such at a loss. If and when she passes I’m aiming to send her body to my state lab.

Drinking a lot of water, I'd re-check that crop.

She may have a blockage lower down. What's coming out? Poop photos?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
3CC443EE-1E85-4FA7-B1A0-92612B6856B7.jpeg

This is what her pooped looked like. I did my last final act of mercy and culled her this morning. She’s more lethargic than ever and is literally skin and bones and unable to move. I didn’t wanna prolong her suffering by force feeding her. I’m sick to my stomach. Tried sending her off to state lab but since it’s Friday and they’re closed tomorrow I had to wait til Monday. Confirmed with them that it is still viable then, as long as she is refrigerated. My heart hurts.

View attachment 3253606

This is what her pooped looked like. I did my last final act of mercy and culled her this morning. She’s more lethargic than ever and is literally skin and bones and unable to move. I didn’t wanna prolong her suffering by force feeding her. I’m sick to my stomach. Tried sending her off to state lab but since it’s Friday and they’re closed tomorrow I had to wait til Monday. Confirmed with them that it is still viable then, as long as she is refrigerated. My heart hurts.
:hugsI'm so sorry :hugs

Not an easy thing to do. Take comfort that you did what you could for her but cared enough to let her go and she's no longer suffering.

Good that you are going to investigate further and hopefully find out more. If you don't mind, please let us know what you find out.

:hugsI'm so sorry :hugs

Not an easy thing to do. Take comfort that you did what you could for her but cared enough to let her go and she's no longer suffering.

Good that you are going to investigate further and hopefully find out more. If you don't mind, please let us know what you find out.
Thank you for all your help. I’m a little bit traumatized to go to my coop now and find another one sick and unable to move. Mareks keeps getting thrown a lot around here and I’m scared for that. The 3 1yr old silkies were bought somewhere else and I’ve quarantined them for 30 days before integrating to my flock in July. I’ve done everything I could, researched for 2 years and read a chicken keeping book before finally committing to chickens, spent all the money in hardware cloth and making sure every nook and cranny of the run and coop is secure, and something like this happens to my babies that are way too young and I feel so helpless. They are pets and I was looking forward to many many years of spending time with them even if they’re way past their egg laying years. I check on them every single morning before work and after work and I have the not knowing what took them so fast to the point where their severely emaciated in days kills me.

Thank you for all your help. I’m a little bit traumatized to go to my coop now and find another one sick and unable to move. Mareks keeps getting thrown a lot around here and I’m scared for that. The 3 1yr old silkies were bought somewhere else and I’ve quarantined them for 30 days before integrating to my flock in July. I’ve done everything I could, researched for 2 years and read a chicken keeping book before finally committing to chickens, spent all the money in hardware cloth and making sure every nook and cranny of the run and coop is secure, and something like this happens to my babies that are way too young and I feel so helpless. They are pets and I was looking forward to many many years of spending time with them even if they’re way past their egg laying years. I check on them every single morning before work and after work and I have the not knowing what took them so fast to the point where their severely emaciated in days kills me.
I am so sorry for your loss. I would be gutted too :(

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom