Very sick pullet

Katejc

Songster
Sep 17, 2019
Shuswap, British Columbia
So we have had an incident here. Its been cold, down to almost zero. We were busy and hadn’t been up to our coop in a couple days. Our power source had blown and our heat lamp on our brooder as well as our water heaters went out. We lost 2 sebrights and one of our new 18 week old chicks. Everyone else is fine, but I have another 18 weeker who is gasping and laid out flat on her side. She is still eating and I am giving her polyvisol/electrolytes but she is not getting her colour back or getting any stronger. Any ideas of something else I could do? I don’t really understand how the not being able to walk/stand is related to the dehydration/cold or if it even is. Help!

Sorry I don't have much experience with this sort of thing, but birds get stressed and shocked very easily, so my hope would be that she just needs some time to recover in a warm(er) quiet place.

So we have had an incident here. Its been cold, down to almost zero. We were busy and hadn’t been up to our coop in a couple days. Our power source had blown and our heat lamp on our brooder as well as our water heaters went out. We lost 2 sebrights and one of our new 18 week old chicks. Everyone else is fine, but I have another 18 weeker who is gasping and laid out flat on her side. She is still eating and I am giving her polyvisol/electrolytes but she is not getting her colour back or getting any stronger. Any ideas of something else I could do? I don’t really understand how the not being able to walk/stand is related to the dehydration/cold or if it even is. Help!
Have you moved her somewhere warmer?

I'd give her warmed sugar water or room temp electrolytes. The Poly Vi Sol may be helpful.

If you have video of her actions, that may be helpful. Upload to youtube and provide a link.

I'd give her warmed sugar water or room temp electrolytes. The Poly Vi Sol may be helpful.

If you have video of her actions, that may be helpful. Upload to youtube and provide a link.
Okay, yes I will try and get a video of her. She is in the house so I can care for her. I gave her homemade electrolytes all day today along with the polyvisol and she is still eating banana and eggs.

Here is the link to the video. I am feeding her the same for fluids and now pancake mix in a syringe but she is also eating on her own.

She's gasping constantly, do you notice any lesions or obstructions inside her beak?
Any bad odor?
Lice/mites?
She was gasping like that before you syringed fluids into her?

I'd try grinding up her feed very fine, then soaking it to make a wet mash, see if she can eat that instead of pancake mix.
If you have poultry vitamins, start those as well.

Hard to know what's happening with her, she may be suffering from disease like Marek's or some other illness. If you lose her, then sending the body for testing will give you the best answers.

She's gasping constantly, do you notice any lesions or obstructions inside her beak?
Any bad odor?
Lice/mites?
She was gasping like that before you syringed fluids into her?

I'd try grinding up her feed very fine, then soaking it to make a wet mash, see if she can eat that instead of pancake mix.
If you have poultry vitamins, start those as well.

Hard to know what's happening with her, she may be suffering from disease like Marek's or some other illness. If you lose her, then sending the body for testing will give you the best answers.
She’s been gasping since we found her. Sunday I believe. She is eating her crumble on her own but I can’t seem to get her crop to grow, I will try a wet mash. My husband got her to drink on her own this morning too. Inside her mouth was completely white when we found her but she is starting to get colour. She was with 3 siblings plus her mom, one sibling was dead, she was like this and the rest are fine. Its so strange.

No lesions, no odor. I will try to look down with a flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom