Very Sick Rooster

I was told to observe for three days, so... this is day 2. Bowel movements seem fine, and I guess I'll have to clean his area. Although I'm not too happy that his eye has started looking sleepy.

I took him to the vet just to make sure, instead of just a phone consultation. It's an impacted crop turned sour, and the item is too big to vomit out. They're going to cut it out, and there's a 60% chance of survival. I can only pray he makes it.

Thank you all for your help, guys.

They've extracted the stuff, and he's recovering right now. It turns out to be my fault, the impact was from overfeeding. There was about a handful of seed in his crop. =/

Vet's prescribed a gastral antibiotic powder to go with the regimen he's already taking, as well as a tbsp of wet oatmeal and banana bits twice a day for the next week. I'll take Chkn's advice and add yogurt into the mix. His appetite is certainly back at least.

I think I'll stick around here to learn more about chickens, so I can better take care of him and the hen.

His name is Joy, by the way. And that's certainly how I'm feeling right now, although I know it's not over yet. :)

Follow up check will be in a week.

hugs.gif
i havent even read this thread but i think i know what it is
hugs.gif
i almost lost my rooster and i know the pain
hugs.gif
so ill support you how lots of people supported me
hugs.gif

Thank you. :)

One detail I forgot to mention, I also just found out today that he's a Layer type. How would that affect his chances of impregnating the hen?

I hope he's holding up okay. No reason he can't produce offspring. I know some people here do the crop surgeries themselves with good results.

Back
Top Bottom