very sick young peahen

sumerduckfarm

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Hello. I have a young peahen that appears to have a respiratory illness. She makes a croupy sound when she breathes. What can I do to help her get better? I have been giving her vitimins and electrolytes in her water. Thank-you!

If it's respiratory, then you can give her an injection of 1cc of Tylan 200 subcutaneously (under the skin, between the skin and muscle, not into muscle or veins) between her shoulders (NOT her breast muscles!). Don't bother with Tylan 50. I don't recall if Tylan can be water dosed, and if it can I surely don't know the dose per gallon.

It's possible it's not respiratory, and is instead a worm problem, but if her breathing is raspy as opposed to her gaping, then you're probably right. If the Tylan doesn't work or you suspect it may be worms, you can worm her with ivermectin in her water (or sub-q again). I don't know the water dosage, but I want to say it's 3cc/gallon... but if someone else knows hopefully they will speak up. I do all mine sub-q.

What is the age of the bird? The young peachchicks are definitely prone to problems. I would not hesitate to give an injection of Tylan 200 just as Kedreeva suggested. The dose might be subject to the age and size of the bird but 1cc is not going to hurt it. If there is obvious mucus in the sinus area, I would inject part of the Tylan into the sinus area. I would also treat for worms just as Kedreeva suggested, but I would be tempted to give it orally for better affect.

Be REALLY careful if you're going to do anything in the sinus area- it's super, super easy to puncture sinus tissue and cause the bird serious damage. The Tylan will affect the whole body if given between the shoulders, and there's a lot less risk of unintentional injury.

I've used Tylan 50 down the throat for 3 days and it's saved chicks. You have to be careful to not let it go down the middle of the throat where it goes into the lungs I think. Needs to go down either side of throat. If you open the mouth and look with a flash light you'll see 3 holes. Don't put any down the center one. I put it just inside the beak and let the bird swallow it. Do a little at a time. Doses I have written down are as follows:

full grown 1/2 cc
half grown 1/4 cc
little bitties 1/10 cc

cc and ml are the same.

How is it now?

Back
Top Bottom