Very Simple Brooderw/ EcoGlow - 1st Hatch Newbie (Pics)

LilMissChz

Songster
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
North East, Maryland
I got my EcoGlow today... only took 2 days to get it!! And I didn't pay a lot either. I got it from Frey Scientific. http://www.freyscientific.com/ Seems they deal in school supplies mostly.

I used a standard large tote with a lid. I drilled a hole in the side for the cord for the EcoGlow. I just got the very simple feeder and used a pint jar. And using a small dish with marbles for my waterer until my nipples arrive. Then I'll use a small bucket and hang it from the side. Pine shavings on the bottom. Easy peesy.

That looks grainier than I would have liked. So much for cell phone images. But you get the idea. Now to wait for the occupants. 10 more days to go! I think I'm going to hatch some more out before my daughter arrives in May. Chicken math, right?

wow wished i had seen this before i ordered one.i put my order in over the weekend still has not arrived.with shipping i paid $90.00.oh well win some lose some.

I absolutely LOVE my Eco Glow. Best thing EVER! And the benefit of no fire hazard and the savings on your electric bill make it well worth it. Plus, the chicks are much happier than under a heat lamp.

That is an interesting way to keep babys warm. Post back on how well it works. I am going to go google it now,lol :)

Somewhere here there is a whole thread on the EcoGlow. I didn't even finish reading it all before I was completely sold on the concept. I never did like the light idea. We have such a tiny house (but BIG back yard). I wanted to keep everything simple, contained and efficient. It was the fact that the unit mimics a brooding hen that sold me. And the idea that the risk of fire is almost non-existent. I also loved the efficiency. I own a hybrid. So to me, this was the "Hybrid" of heating systems.

I said it in the other thread, but I have three ecoglows and will never go back to a heat lamp. They are awesome!

Here's my brooder with an ecoglow 50 - I also use a bucket with nipples - the little one I have is perfect for chicks and has four nipples on the bottom.

Last edited:
The fifty is nice and big! I like the cage you have set up. I was thinking of cutting windows into mine so the little peepers can see out. We have both plexiglass and wire.

So glad I looked into this post. Tried to get the Ecoglow from Brinsea a week ago, but their site says they are out of stock on the 20 til late March. Now I just finished ordering from freyscientific and if I recall they are even the same price as directly from Brinsea $59.95, Not a bad price for electric savings and peace of mind regarding fire hazard.

I may look into having an Ecoglow too! I hate the thought of red lights and broken lights in case the chicks get too lively!

I looked directly at Brisea's website, they offer for the SAME price. The only thing is the shipping costs that would make a world of difference!

How much is the shipping?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom