Very Simple Brooderw/ EcoGlow - 1st Hatch Newbie (Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilMissChz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I got my EcoGlow today... only took 2 days to get it!! And I didn't pay a lot either. I got it from Frey Scientific. http://www.freyscientific.com/ Seems they deal in school supplies mostly.

[​IMG]

I used a standard large tote with a lid. I drilled a hole in the side for the cord for the EcoGlow. I just got the very simple feeder and used a pint jar. And using a small dish with marbles for my waterer until my nipples arrive. Then I'll use a small bucket and hang it from the side. Pine shavings on the bottom. Easy peesy.

[​IMG]

That looks grainier than I would have liked. So much for cell phone images. But you get the idea. Now to wait for the occupants. 10 more days to go! I think I'm going to hatch some more out before my daughter arrives in May. Chicken math, right?

2. DNCXmom

DNCXmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Northern Califorina
    That is an interesting way to keep babys warm. Post back on how well it works. I am going to go google it now,lol :)

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    wow wished i had seen this before i ordered one.i put my order in over the weekend still has not arrived.with shipping i paid $90.00.oh well win some lose some.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I absolutely LOVE my Eco Glow. Best thing EVER! And the benefit of no fire hazard and the savings on your electric bill make it well worth it. Plus, the chicks are much happier than under a heat lamp.

5. LilMissChz

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Somewhere here there is a whole thread on the EcoGlow. I didn't even finish reading it all before I was completely sold on the concept. I never did like the light idea. We have such a tiny house (but BIG back yard). I wanted to keep everything simple, contained and efficient. It was the fact that the unit mimics a brooding hen that sold me. And the idea that the risk of fire is almost non-existent. I also loved the efficiency. I own a hybrid. So to me, this was the "Hybrid" of heating systems.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I said it in the other thread, but I have three ecoglows and will never go back to a heat lamp. They are awesome!

Here's my brooder with an ecoglow 50 - I also use a bucket with nipples - the little one I have is perfect for chicks and has four nipples on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  7. LilMissChz

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    The fifty is nice and big! I like the cage you have set up. I was thinking of cutting windows into mine so the little peepers can see out. We have both plexiglass and wire.

8. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad I looked into this post. Tried to get the Ecoglow from Brinsea a week ago, but their site says they are out of stock on the 20 til late March. Now I just finished ordering from freyscientific and if I recall they are even the same price as directly from Brinsea $59.95, Not a bad price for electric savings and peace of mind regarding fire hazard.

9. daddykirbs

daddykirbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    I like the concept. I may have to look into that for the future broods.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I may look into having an Ecoglow too! I hate the thought of red lights and broken lights in case the chicks get too lively!

I looked directly at Brisea's website, they offer for the SAME price. The only thing is the shipping costs that would make a world of difference!

How much is the shipping?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by