Very sleepy 8-week old pullet

I am so sorry CB. I suppose it is evident that she wants to sleep? Is it possible that her eyes are injured somehow? I hope Corid will make her feel better.
Thank you. Her eyes look okay, and she’s usually closing both of them together, I don’t see a problem there.

You don't want the vitamins you want the electrolytes and the sugar.
Sorry, I don't remember what is in each of those products. My vet said in a pinch use Gatorade to help resuscitate poorly chickens.
I do have fresh Sav-A-Chick packets, I’ll check. I can add sugar/honey if it’s only the electrolytes.

You don't want the vitamins you want the electrolytes and the sugar.
Sorry, I don't remember what is in each of those products. My vet said in a pinch use Gatorade to help resuscitate poorly chickens.
You do you think I should get her off the roost to syringe feed some honey water and Sav-A-Chick?

She is no worse nor better today. Vet trip in the works today, taking her and her hatchmates.
She did eat some crumbles, and just now drank a good amount from the nipple waterer which has a therapeutic dose of Corid 20% in it (1.5 tsp powder/gallon water) and I gave her a direct drench dose (2 tsp powder + 10mil (2 tsp) water) of .15 mil (she's 1.5 pounds).
Did find bloody poop that may be hers or not, will edit with the pics added

This was under her roosting spot, no blood visible
PXL_20230925_111810013.jpg

This was under the others
PXL_20230925_111843547.jpg

Then later I saw blood added, it may be hers as she had moved some, or it may be the others.
PXL_20230925_120752603.jpg

Closer
PXL_20230925_120824545.jpg

Everyone is drinking the Corid water (therapeutic dose)from the waterer. Plus she got a direct drench dose this morning, and about .80 mil of sugar water (hummingbird water- 3:1 sugar:water) - Sav A Chick has B vitamins in it so I held off.

She is the one under the towel.
PXL_20230925_141932863.jpg

Last edited:
Vet visit - vet thought it’s likely an early case of coccidiosis - symptoms, her pain stance, the poo, it no fecal test. Told me to continue the therapeutic dose in their water this week but stop the drench dose, because of her likely dehydrated cell volume the two combined would be too high a dose. Said if no improvement in a couple of days to let her know.

The main run, though covered has roof leakage & drainage issues in half of it that I am in the process of addressing. I can’t envision any dry spot right now that both the adult hens and the little ones could share but it be divided to keep the water sources separate.

Back
Top Bottom