Very sleepy 8-week old pullet

ChicoryBlue

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 8, 2020
Central New York USA
8-week old Buff Orpington hatchery pullet, 1 lb, 8 oz. She's wanting to sleep, outer eyelids closed, huddled by the cozy coop warmer when outside, sometimes now inside standing with eyes closed, seems very sensitive to any light, puts her head in the folds of a curtain or is usually facing the most dark corner. Occasionally somewhat active, will stand and stretch her wing and leg, did eat (medicated) starter crumbles & water earlier this afternoon when offered, but her crop feels small. She stood up and preened just now, but keeping her eyes closed, even when settling back down.

Yellow not well_20230924_215420963.jpg

She's been this way about half a day, possibly a little longer- seemed tired last night, possibly tired earlier each evening (but I haven't been able to tell them apart very well, I just banded them now). She was a little more active this morning, she had her eyes open but didn't want to jump down into the run from the tote I brought them out in.

Brooded her and her two B.O. hatch-mates inside, eating medicated chick starter grower and plain water. They've been outside not in the hen's run but around the house during the daytime on warm days since two weeks old, and then with the three adult hens in their runs since about six weeks (for about two weeks now). The two others are very active and seem fine.

The poops in the brooder have seemed fine, but I did find this poop Sept 16, don't know who did it. Saw one other poop like this a few days later, but none before or since. I thought it was shed intestinal lining.
Bloody poo_20230916_121156966.jpg

I don't have a poop picture from the affected pullet yet, but before bringing them inside I believe she pooped a poo that I unfortunately threw off into the run that looked like the below but more watery. These two poops are from each of her companions. I just found another similar to these which might have been hers.
Poop from B & G 20230924_205226107.jpg

Panicking that the bloody poop was not normal and thinking it wouldn't hurt her, I have direct-dosed .5ml today of a drench solution of powdered Corid 20% (1/2 tsp in 2 tsp water; she weighs 1lb, 8 oz, so with a direct dose of .34ml/pound = .51ml solution)

The only other thing I have noticed is an occasional sneeze, and I don't know if it's from the same bird or not. Everyone's nares and eyes look clear, no fluid or bubbles.

They have been brooding in a puppy playpen on chopped hemp in a room in my house, outside daytimes in a run partially covered with year-old aged ramial chips, pine shavings, leaves, etc.

8-week old Buff Orpington hatchery pullet, 1 lb, 8 oz. She's wanting to sleep, outer eyelids closed, huddled by the cozy coop warmer when outside, sometimes now inside standing with eyes closed, seems very sensitive to any light, puts her head in the folds of a curtain or is usually facing the most dark corner. Occasionally somewhat active, will stand and stretch her wing and leg, did eat (medicated) starter crumbles & water earlier this afternoon when offered, but her crop feels small. She stood up and preened just now, but keeping her eyes closed, even when settling back down.

View attachment 3644457

She's been this way about half a day, possibly a little longer- seemed tired last night, possibly tired earlier each evening (but I haven't been able to tell them apart very well, I just banded them now). She was a little more active this morning, she had her eyes open but didn't want to jump down into the run from the tote I brought them out in.

Brooded her and her two B.O. hatch-mates inside, eating medicated chick starter grower and plain water. They've been outside not in the hen's run but around the house during the daytime on warm days since two weeks old, and then with the three adult hens in their runs since about six weeks (for about two weeks now). The two others are very active and seem fine.

The poops in the brooder have seemed fine, but I did find this poop Sept 16, don't know who did it. Saw one other poop like this a few days later, but none before or since. I thought it was shed intestinal lining.
View attachment 3644430

I don't have a poop picture from the affected pullet yet, but before bringing them inside I believe she pooped a poo that I unfortunately threw off into the run that looked like the below but more watery. These two poops are from each of her companions. I just found another similar to these which might have been hers.
View attachment 3644441

Panicking that the bloody poop was not normal and thinking it wouldn't hurt her, I have direct-dosed .5ml today of a drench solution of powdered Corid 20% (1/2 tsp in 2 tsp water; she weighs 1lb, 8 oz, so with a direct dose of .34ml/pound = .51ml solution)

The only other thing I have noticed is an occasional sneeze, and I don't know if it's from the same bird or not. Everyone's nares and eyes look clear, no fluid or bubbles.

They have been brooding in a puppy playpen on chopped hemp in a room in my house, outside daytimes in a run partially covered with year-old aged ramial chips, pine shavings, leaves, etc.
I hope someone can help - you have done what I would have done with the Corid.
Only thing I would add is to give her some electrolytes and sugar in her water - can be Nutridrench or honey and save-a-chick.

I hope someone can help - you have done what I would have done with the Corid.
Only thing I would add is to give her some electrolytes and sugar in her water - can be Nutridrench or honey and save-a-chick.
Doesn't the Corid work by depriving the absorption of B vitamins, I'm not sure which ones - B1 and B12? - and maybe Nutridrench (or Rooster Booster Cell Liquid is what I have right now fresh), supplies extra of that and will counteract the Corid?

Don’t use any vitamins while on Corid. Corid works by mimicking thiamine (B1.)Can you try to get her drinking more of the treated water now? Coccidiosis may be the problem. How are you mixing the Corid?
I syringe-fed her .5ml of a solution made with powder Corid 20%: 1/2 tsp of the powder in 2 tsp water. I could syringe feed her more plain water or Corid-treated water, if that's what you mean. But they are roosting now; when I offered her the nipple waterer a half-hour ago she did not want any.

It is fine to give a drench of Corid daily, but it usually is put into the water at a dosage of 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of water for 5-7 days. For the drench, I would mix 1.5 tsp in 10 ml (2 tsp) of water, and give 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition to the drinking water.

It is fine to give a drench of Corid daily, but it usually is put into the water at a dosage of 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of water for 5-7 days. For the drench, I would mix 1.5 tsp in 10 ml (2 tsp) of water, and give 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day in addition to the drinking water.
The drench recipe you recommend is three times as strong as what I made (I did 1/2 tsp into 2 tsp water, you recommend 1 1/2 tsp into two tsp).

But your dosage of the solution is less - I did .34ml / pound so 1 lb 8oz bird would be .51 ml solution; your dosage would work out to be .15ml in total, correct? It might be easier to dose a smaller amount, I did the larger amount in two go's.

I had made up Corid treated water already for their nipple waterer and was waiting to see if that's okay to do, all three birds would be drinking it. I can put it in now. I did a half recipe: 3/4 tsp powder (Corid 20%) into two quarts of water, since the nipple waterer only holds less than a quart.

I am so sorry CB. I suppose it is evident that she wants to sleep? Is it possible that her eyes are injured somehow? I hope Corid will make her feel better.

Doesn't the Corid work by depriving the absorption of B vitamins, I'm not sure which ones - B1 and B12? - and maybe Nutridrench (or Rooster Booster Cell Liquid is what I have right now fresh), supplies extra of that and will counteract the Corid?
You don't want the vitamins you want the electrolytes and the sugar.
Sorry, I don't remember what is in each of those products. My vet said in a pinch use Gatorade to help resuscitate poorly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom