8 Week old pullet sneezing and wheezing. Advice?

Emmakn

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
Just brought home two 8 week old barred rock pulleys yesterday and was planning to slowing introduce to my two full grown hens slowly over the next week or two.

One of the pullers is occasionally sneezing and has a very slight wheeze. No obvious mucus drainage yet. She is eating and drinking normally. Any advice to get her healthy before introducing the new gals to the older gals?

Just brought home two 8 week old barred rock pulleys yesterday and was planning to slowing introduce to my two full grown hens slowly over the next week or two.

One of the pullers is occasionally sneezing and has a very slight wheeze. No obvious mucus drainage yet. She is eating and drinking normally. Any advice to get her healthy before introducing the new gals to the older gals?
She might have the beginning of a respiratory infection. You can get things like VetRx at tractor supply for the baby

I would be concerned they could have come with a respiratory disease. Keep them far away from your others, and use good biosecurity with hand washing, changing shoes, and clothing. Thirty days is the usual quarantine time. Have you checked with the seller? Note if they are sneezing often, every few minutes, shaking heads, swallowing mucus, or if there are bubbles in either eye. Infectious bronchitis and MG are common diseases.

I would save my money. Vet Rx, while safe, is bottle of herbal oils (rosemary, oregano, balsam in oil with camphor.) I would make sure they have plenty of ventilation, fresh air, and no water spills that may lead to mold. I usually wait until pullets are the same size to slowly, safely, introduce them. If they seem to have a respiratory disease, I would give them back no questions asked. Some chickens may get stressed out with a move to a new place, so hopefully, the sneezing is just normal and not anything infectious.

I would save my money. Vet Rx, while safe, is bottle of herbal oils (rosemary, oregano, balsam in oil with camphor.) I would make sure they have plenty of ventilation, fresh air, and no water spills that may lead to mold. I usually wait until pullets are the same size to slowly, safely, introduce them. If they seem to have a respiratory disease, I would give them back no questions asked. Some chickens may get stressed out with a move to a new place, so hopefully, the sneezing is just normal and not anything infectious.
Herbal oils are always good to have on hand! For example, it helps keeping animals from chewing/scratching on furniture. Isn't that crazy?!

Although 15$ is 15$ and that much money in this economy is hard to part with, I think it's a great addition to the medicine cabinet. I always think, well what if I NEED it and I don't have it. In this case, you could probably get away with doing all that is suggested above, but VetRx is great stuff, and it works. I've seen it work firsthand. OR you could make your own using a recipe online. Buy the oils separately so you can use them for all types of things.

Back
Top Bottom