Very sleepy chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by welovechickens, May 2, 2011.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Hi,
    I have an Ameraucana chick that hatched mid-day Thursday. It seemed pretty weak until late the next day, but it's finally up and running around now. The weird thing is that it sleeps almost constantly. If it's not sleeping, it is standing up with its eyes closed. I am giving them some weak sugar water today because the weak one didn't seem to be drinking enough. It eats heartily, drinks the sugar water, and struggles when I pick it up. The sleepiness is what bothers me. Should I give it a drop of baby vitamins? Could it have something wrong with its eyes? They look normal, no redness or runny stuff, and it doesn't scratch any more than what seems normal.

Thanks for any advice or ideas. [​IMG]

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Half my flock was very sleepy the first week. They would be sleeping every time I looked in the brooder. I figured they were babies and needed a lot of sleep. [​IMG]. They grew just fine.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    x2

Chicks sleep alot. I think your chick is fine! [​IMG]

4. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    [​IMG] Yes, I know they're tiny babies and need to sleep a lot, but I was only concerned because this one often walks around with its eyes closed. I've raised dozens of baby chicks and never seen one walk around with eyes closed before.

I guess I won't worry as long as it is eating/drinking well.

5. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Many of my chicks walked around with eyes closed and fell asleep on their feet in their first week. They're all fine and energetic now in their second week. If you are concerned about it, perhaps adding some electrolyte solution to the water might help. Feed stores generally carry it or make your own:

1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/3 tsp salt

For the record, I did not give anything to my sleepy chicks other than clean water and starter feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by