Very soft shelles egg.

It's apparent she is attempting to expel an egg; when soft that can make things a lot more difficult. It would be best to move her into a warm stress-free area, that's humidified. Administration of a calcium supplement is indicated in most cases to promote muscle contractions and aid in the future for correct formation of the shell. For that, you can use calcium gluconate, dosing at 0.2ml per pound orally, or crush tums, mix it with water, and give her a few drops orally. If she is not drinking much, offering an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Pedialyte would be good. If you don't see improvement after some time, and her overall condition worsens, a vet might be best.

It would def be a good idea to have Calcium Gluconate on hand when we have layers. TSC carries it its liquid and you’ll need a 1 ml syringe with out a needle. CG will help with contractions that get the egg moving. We have info on how to administer this too.

It's apparent she is attempting to expel an egg; when soft that can make things a lot more difficult. It would be best to move her into a warm stress-free area, that's humidified. Administration of a calcium supplement is indicated in most cases to promote muscle contractions and aid in the future for correct formation of the shell. For that, you can use calcium gluconate, dosing at 0.2ml per pound orally, or crush tums, mix it with water, and give her a few drops orally. If she is not drinking much, offering an electrolyte such as Gatorade, or Pedialyte would be good. If you don't see improvement after some time, and her overall condition worsens, a vet might be best.
Okay thank you. I brought her inside and just have her on my couch, she hasn't pooped since I brought her in about 30 minutes ago. I'm currently filling up my bathtub with warm water because I read on metzer farms website that it can help them with passing the egg. How long can I wait until going to the vet? Hours? Days? I assume I would have to today if she can't even poop but I don't even think they offer same day visits last time I made an appointment there the soonest they had was a week away.

I see you've already been given good advice.
It is common for new layers to lay eggs like this.
What exactly do you feed her?

Okay thank you. I brought her inside and just have her on my couch, she hasn't pooped since I brought her in about 30 minutes ago. I'm currently filling up my bathtub with warm water because I read on metzer farms website that it can help them with passing the egg. How long can I wait until going to the vet? Hours? Days? I assume I would have to today if she can't even poop but I don't even think they offer same day visits last time I made an appointment there the soonest they had was a week away.
They might let you make an emergency appointment for an extra fee for a life threatening condition.

How long has she been acting like this?

Soaking her rear in warm water, or keeping her in a humidified room would be good. These problems generally resolve themselves, but I am not the one to say whether you go or not. You have to use your best judgment and decide for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom