Very soft shelles egg.

How long has she been acting like this?

Soaking her rear in warm water, or keeping her in a humidified room would be good. These problems generally resolve themselves, but I am not the one to say whether you go or not. You have to use your best judgment and decide for yourself.
Its just been today

Also just put her in her warm bath and she pooped instantly so that's good

Its just been today

Also just put her in her warm bath and she pooped instantly so that's good
I'm thrilled she pooped!! That certainly makes it less of an emergency.

One of my ducks was frequently eggbound. While being stressful she always passed the egg. I'm going to be optimistic for yours, too.

I'm thrilled she pooped!! That certainly makes it less of an emergency.

One of my ducks was frequently eggbound. While being stressful she always passed the egg. I'm going to be optimistic for yours, too.
How long did it usually take her?

How long did it usually take her?
1-3 days. She got eggbound every 1-3 weeks. She was on calcium gluconate, metacam, and the vets frequently gave her vitamin injections. I gave her warm baths at first but they didn't seem to help, the best thing for her seemed to be leaving her in the barn in a nesting box. Other members have found that warm baths help their ducks, but Gingersnap seemed stressed and the quiet benefited her more.

I'm not sure if our situations are too similar. Gingersnap was a very sick duck with multiple health issues. Despite her reproductive problems, she passed away from something else entirely. Also my flock has infectious bronchitis, which lives in the egg shell gland. I think your duck is just a new layer.

I had her in the warm bath for a little over an hour, no success in pushing anything out. I put her in the new coop that I bought for my other duck patient so hopefully that will be a good place for her to try and push it out. If she doesn't push it out by the time the sun goes down should I leave her in there alone? Or should I put her in her normal coop with her normal friend?

I had her in the warm bath for a little over an hour, no success in pushing anything out. I put her in the new coop that I bought for my other duck patient so hopefully that will be a good place for her to try and push it out. If she doesn't push it out by the time the sun goes down should I leave her in there alone? Or should I put her in her normal coop with her normal friend?
I left Gingersnap with her sisters as much as possible to reduce stress. I found stress reduction important, and changing her usual routine was very upsetting to her.

If there is an egg in the morning you won't know who it came from. I always decide it is worth it to make it easier for them.

But maybe your ducks aren't as bonded to each other as mine are?

Okay I just went to open the little coop I put her in so she could come out and be with her sisters if she wants. I found this little dented fairy egg in there! It's shell is a lot harder than the one I found this morning, I am not really sure where I could get any of the gray oyster shell you were talking about but I'll put mealworms on the piles of it that I have to try and attract her there.

Attachments

• 20210114_170816.jpg
    20210114_170816.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 2
Okay I just went to open the little coop I put her in so she could come out and be with her sisters if she wants. I found this little dented fairy egg in there! It's shell is a lot harder than the one I found this morning, I am not really sure where I could get any of the gray oyster shell you were talking about but I'll put mealworms on the piles of it that I have to try and attract her there.
Yay about the egg! Is she behaving normally? No straining?

I get my oyster shells from our local hardware store, they also sell hay and poultry food. Also a feed store further away sells it, so you might find it if you look around. Or you can get it online at chewy.

I tried to convince my ducks to eat the white kind for.... A year? Maybe longer. Until I finally got the grey kind by accident. Since then I have spoken with a few members who have had similar experiences. Also, other members have ducks who eat the white kind just fine. Some ducks just seem to be opinionated about their oyster shells.

Yay about the egg! Is she behaving normally? No straining?

I get my oyster shells from our local hardware store, they also sell hay and poultry food. Also a feed store further away sells it, so you might find it if you look around. Or you can get it online at chewy.

I tried to convince my ducks to eat the white kind for.... A year? Maybe longer. Until I finally got the grey kind by accident. Since then I have spoken with a few members who have had similar experiences. Also, other members have ducks who eat the white kind just fine. Some ducks just seem to be opinionated about their oyster shells.
Yeah she seems to be back to normal. To celebrate getting it out she ran out and decided to chase all the other ducks around the yard which is something she has never done before 🤣
And yeah thats weird my girl Penguin eats the white ones no problem I guess I'll see if she eats any soon and if not I guess I'll try and find the gray kind. I'm also going to get that calcium gluconate from tsc tonight and ill give her a little of that

Back
Top Bottom