Very strange looking Rouen

AlleysFarm

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Demotte, IN
OK so I got a drake for my Rouen hen and tested out her eggs found one fertile and growing and it hatched to day.. but HUH? This doesn't look like a Rouen duck.. or at least not what my hen looked like when she hatched. It's the only ducks I have out there at this time as the Muscovy's when I gathered the eggs were still penned.

Go figure??

I know the hen is a Rouen as I had her since a hatchling last year. This is the drake.. maybe not a Rouen??

Last edited:
What an odd little stinker!! You're sure there's no way a Muscovy had a little fling with her? I know that a white gene will come forward in Khaki Campbells, for example, and produce a yellow duckling, but that definitely looks like a Rouen drake. I must research this! I'd love to hear from anyone else more acquainted with genetics, too!

Unless the coloring is a little off in your photo, that looks like a Saxony drake to me.

And the babies look like this:

(how freakin cute!!)

Last edited:
Ah!. The head does look suspiciously dusty for a Rouen, now that you mention it. I believe you're right! I'd love to see updated photos of this little cutie as he/she grows. :)

LOL well that would explain why it's not black and yellow.. So would that make it a Saxon or a Roueny
lau.gif

I agree, your drake looks like he's got a bit of Saxony or another breed in him, or at least part of him is. It's going to be a very pretty duck.

Okay, that is a Saxony drake. But that still doesn't explaine your yellow duckling. Is there ANY other shade of color on it? If not, then it will be white, and that can only mean that both parents are carriers of recessive white genes..... or she had a one night stand with a muscovy.

What was the color of the egg that this little guy hatched from?

Last edited:
Egg was white as it came from a Rouen hen here is a photo from today. It just has maybe a slight different shade of yellow on it's head and a little on it's back. And no chance of a muscovy one night stand
lau.gif
.. as they were penned up in a separate area till about two weeks ago and this drake is very protective of his girl.. :)

Back
Top Bottom